Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Courses, CPD, Speakers

Hi was wondering if anyone knows of a comprehensive list of consultancy companies, speakers for the early years. I am part of a network of childminders who are looking for ideas to buy in their own CPD e.g. loose parts, inspirational speakers on child development, that sort of thing. Grateful for any help... TIA

Sorry I can't help you Alison but as a fellow childminder I'm glad you're here.  I wouldn't like to promote one training provider over another - personally I'm taking bits and pieces from lots of different providers.  There are some great articles and resources right here at the EYfS Forum.  Are you trying to set up a communal childminding group?  Brilliant idea since the LA's don't have money to do it any more.  I'd love to be sharing bulk buying with other childminders (and sharing the storage).  

Good luck, and I'd be interested in the model you come up with.  

Honey

Hi lovely to hear from you. Yes, we have just set up the Stafford Childminder Support Network... a constituted group and meet every month... 5 months so far! As you mentioned the LA aren't really meeting our needs anymore so we are looking at a membership for the year and buying in our own training. We all feel very positive about it but I'm struggling to tap into providers and ideas for training and speakers at the moment... hence the post. I'd be happy to share how we have gone about it.

Alison (secretary!) 

Hi Alison ... welcome to FSF! Great opening post! :)

If you look at our courses and events listings on our resources page many of them are online - and very reasonably priced. We (although a large day nursery, not childminders) have had some success with doing online training together as a whole group and stopping the training at frequent intervals to discuss and think of scenarios that fit our experience - staff have found this method very helpful. We usually buy a few 'codes' for a course so that senior leaders can watch it / complete it themselves first so that they can anticipate questions etc and then we buy a code for each age group so that staff can go through the training together and reflect on their practice and experience. You don't all get a certificate, but we have found it's better to do it in a shared way than on our own. We have used NDNA couses for this successfully. Recently we paid a few hundred pounds for Anni McTavish to come and deliver whole staff training - we are a team of 20 and it was more cost effective to do it that way and get whole staff focus and input rather than going in 'dribs and drabs' to training courses which then had to be cascaded back. You can find a list of trainers and consultants on the Early Education site here. Their prices vary - but we were really pleased with what we got from it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)