Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Downloading journals onto disk.

Tcha

I am in a bit of a dilemma as I've been in talks with the school who most of our Pre-Schoolers go on to. They are wondering about the downloading of the children's journals onto disk for parents and the problems with GDPR. This would mean that if the journals aren't downloaded when they finish reception year, the children's observations from when they were 2 onwards would be deleted and no one would be able to access them at all - all of that work gone! 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? I think the school are worried about parents copying photos which have other children in. 

Help on this would be helpful. Thank you

Hi, 

There are a couple of things you can do. The first thing would be to actually have a lawful basis to share those photos - in this case I think consent would be the best one. So, just ask the parents for permission to share the pictures which include their child with other parents from your setting. Lots of settings do get consent for this sort of thing when a child joins because when you set the parents at your setting up on Tapestry, they can see the pictures that are part of published observations of their child, and if they can see something, they can copy it. The other thing you can do is stop parents from seeing the media from group observations (as those are the observations most likely to include multiple children). If you change that permission from within your control panel and then export the journals with relatives as the recipient, that media will not be included. You can also choose to just not include any media in the export at all. It would be a shame to not be able to pass over any of those pictures, but I'm sure the parents would still appreciate getting the notes! If you know there are only a few observations which include several children, perhaps it's worth editing that media specifically to remove the child who shouldn't be there? 

Best wishes,
Lauren