Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Degree obtained in Italy

Morning all,

All the beautiful snow has been washed away in London! The staff (and children :)) loved it last week.

Wonder if anyone can help me, I have a member of staff who came via an agency, she has a Degree in Social and Cultural Educator (from Italy) which has been considered/comparable to British Bachelor (honours) degree by the National Recognition Information Centre.

However she has no knowledge of the EYFS and this is her first childcare position in the UK.  Couple of questions.....

1. Do you think I should get her to do a Level 3 course (on-line) to cover the EYFS/Ofsted requirements etc or just a 1-3 day course covering the basic's?

2. She wants to be paid as a level 6 (as per her degree) but I am paying her as I would a level 2 due to her in-experience/knowledge of the EYFS

She does speak English but needs a little help/translation every now and then.

Many thanks

Edited by spiceye

Morning!

I don't think she can be paid as a level 6 as she can't carry out the same job 

If she is keen to train further I would encourage her to do a full Level 3 qualification, that will also help her get to grips with some of the EYFS terminology and background theory. I would ask a local training provider for their advice, they will be able to steer you towards the most appropriate courses for her current knowledge and skill level.

Thank you Rebecca, I asked my local EY adviser and they had the same thoughts as me (and you) that she couldn't be paid as a level 6 and to send her on an introductory EYFS course and then Level 3.

I was doubting myself and the staff member said her friend with the same qualification (and no previous position in the UK) has just been appointed a room leader?  I wondered how the nursery had offered her that position with no experience/knowledge of the EYFS?

Thanks again and have a good evening. 

38 minutes ago, spiceye said:

Thank you Rebecca, I asked my local EY adviser and they had the same thoughts as me (and you) that she couldn't be paid as a level 6 and to send her on an introductory EYFS course and then Level 3.

I was doubting myself and the staff member said her friend with the same qualification (and no previous position in the UK) has just been appointed a room leader?  I wondered how the nursery had offered her that position with no experience/knowledge of the EYFS?

Thanks again and have a good evening. 

No problem, glad we could help - I wonder about the other nursery too? Although you do hear about decisions made by others that you wouldn't make yourself - you can only do what you think is correct :)