Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading And Writing

:) Hi everyone,

just wondered if you have problems with parents complaining about not hearing their children read everyday. I started teaching in Y1 in January and I am amazed at the misconceptions some of the parents have about our settings reading scheme (Ginn). They seem to think that as long as their child can read the vocab related to the level they are at, then they should continually be moved on to the next book. It is so frustrating when the children have no idea what the book is about but can bark out 30 words. I have explained to them that the children need wider reading experience and that the home readers are just a small part of the reading we do everyday in school. There just isn't enough time in the day to listen to every child read.

Jac :o

I always feel there is a competition between parents at the school gate to see who's child is first onto the next level. I actually had this arguement with a parent some years ago (she is/was a primary teacher by the way) Her child was practicing all the Ginn books prior to getting them from school and he was word perfect but couldnt talk about the books or read books other than Ginn. :o

I always feel there is a competition between parents at the school gate to see who's child is first onto the next level. I actually had this arguement with a parent some years ago (she is/was a primary teacher by the way) Her child was practicing all the Ginn books prior to getting them from school and he was word perfect but couldnt talk about the books or read books other than Ginn. :o

50086[/snapback]

xD It is so frustrating, for the children as well as the teacher. I think you are right Marion, there is competition between parents. I have tried explaining, I even held a meeting yesterday afternoon to highlight the concerns - but none of the parents that needed to be there attended.

• 4 weeks later...

We have exactly the same problem. We only read Ginn books in school and refuse to send them home because the fussing from parents about levels became too intense. We send home 'normal' story books for parents to share with ther child. Parents hate it but children love it!! Our reception children are currently learning their high frequency words and the pressure from parents to move their child onto the next set is just unbelievable. They do not care that there child cannot recognise the words in books or other sentences and trying to explain to parents that unless the word can berecognised in a variety of contexts then the child is not able to consistenlty read the word is an absolute nightmare. It is like hitting your head against a brick wall and infuriates me. Parents honestly believe we are trying to hold their child back rather than making sure that they are confident and consistant readers.

Anyway rant over!!

I was a terrible parent...When forced to listen to how well somebody's child was doing I would always be amazed 'wow, Sam/Rich cant do anything like that yet '. :oxD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)