Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staffing Nightmare Again

Hi,

Those of you who know me have already heard about my staffing nightmares last year, well I have them again but in a different way.

My Manager fell at work,on the 20th Feb hitting her head, she returned to work after her day off. Then 8 days later she became dizzy and blacked out at home, she went off sick and then was admitted to hospital on Saturday 4th March (12 days after the fall) for tests. We don't know if her illness is due to the fall. I've had to cover her absence at work. My main concern is that I am really worried about her, she's still in hospital having CAT scans.

I've also had to contact H&S executive Incident Centre, even though we are not sure if her illness is work related yet.

Then on Sunday, another member of staff (qualified) gave her notice in. She's only been with us since end of November. I'm really cross because she must of accepted my job offer knowing she would be leaving soon, she has been actively seeking a management job and has now got one with a surestart unit :o . She wants to leave asap, leaving me with only 2 staff xD . ( 1 qualified, 1 unqualified). Luckily I haven't got any Foster children at the moment, so I can go in and cover.

I'm also cross because she is very good at her job and people like her are hard to come by. Only just completed Induction with her after xmas break, and the remaining staff are now all unsettled and I am really, really worried about my managers health.( she's been a good friend to me for over 20 yrs)

Thanks for letting me ramble, I normally like to write positive things but needed to get my feelings out.

Anyone out there want a job?

All hugs gratefully received.

Peggy

Poor Peggy you have all my sympathy. Staffing problems are evry owner's worst nightmare and will continue to be until we get proper government funding and can afford to pay more than the supermarket checkout staff get! One of my staff was rushed to hospital last Friday evening with appendicitis and another is currently convalescing after an eye operation so we are calling in everybody's favours. Fortunately I have ten part time staff so I'm in a far easier position than you. Hope an excellent candidate is just round the corner waiting to join your team.

hi peggy,

here's my hug :) (couldn't find any arms!!) you must feel really concerned (about your manager) and really angry and disappointed about the other staff member. In life there are always staff members you give an inch to but they take a mile... and then others that are so dedicated and those are the ones we all admire.

In the summer of last year we had a "great" staff team as I thought and then one simple argument showed true colours and 5 out of 6 staff decided to leave. My manager (provider of setting) was on holiday, the leader walked out, 1 assistant walked out, 2 assistants had handed in notice 2 weeks before, the deputy decided to leave too but stayed to end the 2 weeks of summer to help out and me as part time assistant/co-ordinator. When our manager came back she looked like she was going to cry or close or both. I optomistically told her I would sort it over the last 2 weeks of term. Well i do not know how we managed but we did and so over the summer hols I had to recruit a brand new staff team. my experience went on a steep learning curve i'll say!!! :o I have now become joint leader (since sept - not ideal situation but save closing) recruited some great staff, watched my joint leader leave (again!!?? :( but that's another story!!), promoted the deputy to join me as joint leader, found some more assistants and am still looking for 1 more assistant as we speak.

There will be a time soon that it will seem like a distant nightmare .... remember we all have crisises (??) and our inner strength wins over.

Hope my story helps bring a smile :D

love kizzy xx xD

Edited by Guest

Oh Peggy I really feel for you. It's especially awful when it's someone you genuinely like, outside of the professional relationship. The other one wanting to leave must have been like being kicked when you're already down.

I hope your manager makes a full and speedy recovery. It's a cliche, but at least she's in 'the right place'. If there's an underlying condition of some sort, think how much worse it could have been - if she'd been driving, or children were injured as a result, etc.

Perhaps in the long run you're better off without the other one. I know she had to make her decision based on what was right for her, but I hope you're able to find good new staff quickly, and that they'll be people who share the same ideals about very high standards and committment levels that you obviously hold. Your passion for what you do oozes out of everything you post on here - people would be daft not to be drawn to you! I'd come if I could!!!

And there's never any need to apologise for letting your feelings out, especially on here. You give out so much - it's time to receive a bit in return!

Peggy, have a dozen hugs (((()))). The staff member who's leaving is swopping a wonderful opportunity for one where the funding may not last and where the rules outweigh the play. If you want to be vindictive think about that. xD Your friend and colleague is as weightman say's, in the best place. Chances are the fall at work has merely highlighted a problem that has been beneath the surface and now she can get the treatment she needs. Obviously now that you're needed at playgroup social services will be on the phone asking you to home a child, thereby exasperating your problems and the pipes will freeze flooding the kitchen. :o You are a positive person, even while you're airing your problems you are thinking positively about ways around the staffing issues and seeing how to keep everything running smoothly. Get your parents in to help with some of the chores, after all you do for their children I'm sure they will be only too pleased to help. Now, go outside, get on your tramploine and bounce until you're giddy :D

Peggy,

Everyone's said it all already. :o My thoughts are with you and I hope your friend turns out to be fine after her short spell in hospital.

Life has a way of throwing things at us just when we're on an even keel, doesn't it. I'm sure you'll get through this one, just like you have the others and in a few months from now it will all be behind you. Hopefully the new member of staff you get will be even more fab and everyone will think it a blessing that this other woman left. :D

Thanks everyone,

Kizzy - Thanks for putting my problems in perspective - ( when I first bought my preschool I had 14 staff come and go in the first year) Well done to you for managing the situation. :D

Rea- I daren't go on the trampoline, I might break a leg :o ( well maybe later, I'll have a bounce xD ) Funny pic :D:D

Hali- Callum has been great to have at preschool so far, so yes, me being at preschool and not in my office is a positive. :D

Peggy

Peggy,

Have a late hug ((xx)) - and as Carol said, everyone else has said everything.

We're all here for you. anytime!! Keep us posted, please - I'd welcome the job if I were nearer too!!

Sue :D

Hi peggy I feel for you. In 9 years I have had staff come and go so often you begin to wonder if the deodorant is working properly. Keep your chin up it can only get better. :D:o

Oh Peggy Peggy Peggy big hugs from me too :D:D and sorry they are a little late

For me the only problem with you and your pre-school is that it's not near where I live otherwise I would have applied for a job ages ago!

Every post you make I can feel your passion for early years if you know what I mean!

Hang on in there and hope you manager is on the road to full recovery very soon

You know where we are if you want to come and have a scream or a rant.

Everyone is rooting for you with fingers and toes crossed

Take care

:D:D:D:D

Oh Peggy how I wish I lived nearer!

I don't want to rain on your parade but I've had a pants time this week and am ready to hand in my notice but just can't afford it!

Big hugs coming your way hun :o

I'd like to add my name to the rather long queue of people who would love to work for you if I lived nearer, I think we would just give you another problem - who to choose!

Hope you're friend will soon be OK, as everyone has said, it could well be that there is an underlyng problem that has caused the fall (not that that is much consolation). Hope she'll soon be fit and well.

As for the other member of staff, it's her loss, some people!

Have a good night's sleep, tomorrow's another day, as one door closes another one opens, before you know it you're problem will be solved - if anybody can do it you can!

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG HUG!!!!

Oh Peggy how I wish I lived nearer!

I don't want to rain on your parade but I've had a pants time this week and am ready to hand in my notice but just can't afford it!

Big hugs coming your way hun  :o

50110[/snapback]

Pandamonium - hope you're week gets better too! A hug coming right back at ya! Get a good night's sleep, things will look better in the morning.

Deb

Pandamonium, i promise I hadn't read your response to this post before i asked if you had had a tipple in your post about rented accomodation.

Lets hope we both have a brighter day tomorrow.

I'm sure we will with positive thinking.

Thank you all for the hugs. :o

Peggy

Hi, thanks for asking,

xxx leaves tomorrow, she rang me today after work asking for tomorrow off saying she had a message from her new employer asking her to attend Induction with them tomorrow, my reply was reschedule with them :o . Unfortunately human nature dictates that once you have given notice, motivation goes out the window. She has not really been with us ( in spirit) since giving notice, so I said finish tomorrow instead of end of term. It is disappointing.

xxxx is still off but is getting better, doubt I will see her until after Easter. She is bored silly at home and wants to get back to work asap, but she is still having dizzy spells. xD

I have been working every day and paperwork every night. 2 new work experience students to induct and a QA assessment tomorrow. plus one other member of staff off one day with the dreaded S & D ( sickness)

The paperwork re: accident took hours RIDDOR report ( in hospital over 24 hrs = major injury), insurance personal accident claim and just in case public liability statement.

However, I have put a notice up for 1/ parent helpers and 2/ job vacancy.

I have had 3 parents offering help and one parent has asked if she can volunteer on a permanent basis to help her improve her English. She came in for the first time today and was really helpful although she spent most of her time tidying, cleaning, washing up - which I said I won't expect all the time but thanks a lot. I think it made her feel useful and they were tasks she felt confident doing.

I've also had 2 applicants for the vacancy, I am interviewing tomorrow and next week. ( which reminds me I must get all the paperwork ready for that)I have made it clear to them that it is a LONG TERM proposition and I will expect that they stay with me for at least 2 yrs, so if it is a short term idea, don't bother applying. One applicant looks particularly promising.

My staff member with learning difficulties has really come out of her shell and even suggested that she would induct one of the students on how to manage the snack bar- for her to one, come up with this idea and two, want to follow it through is a great achievement and step forward for her. :D

So, as ever, a long reply, but out of the chaos and disappointments there has been some very positive experiences.

And, I must admit, I've thoroughly enjoyed "getting out of the office" and having fun with the children. Callum bear helped and all the great ideas I got from the forum for "Going on a Bear hunt" have been enjoyed this week. I made a fantastic Bear Hunt Story box ( even though I say so myself) I will post pics of it when time allows.

Peggy

It's been a difficult time for you, Peggy, but it sounds as though you've handled it very well. I don't mean that to sound patronising - I would have been surprised if you hadn't!

I really hope that you get the high quality, committed staff that you need as the result of the interviews. Then maybe you'll be able to see at least the beginning of the end of it!