Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Computers

I'm trying to find out if there is a certain amount of time that children should be allowed on the computer?

I'm concerned about the effects on eyesight etc. Also should there be a certain distance between the user and the screen? Our ict co=ord has looked into this and said not, but I was wondering if anybody knows any different?

Also I'm thinking of getting a lower case keyboard for the childrens use-does anybody use them already?

Thanks!

:oxD:(

(thats how I feel after browsing the web for too long!)

I'm trying to find out if there is a certain amount of time that children should be allowed on the computer?

I'm concerned about the effects on eyesight etc. Also should there be a certain distance between the user and the screen? Our ict co=ord has looked into this and said not, but I was wondering if anybody knows any different?

Also I'm thinking of getting a lower case keyboard for the childrens use-does anybody use them already?

Thanks!

:o  xD  :(

(thats how I feel after browsing the web for too long!)

49862[/snapback]

I think the distance from screen to face should be between 18 and 24 inches.

I used to ask the children to focus their eyes on something in the distance after using the computer, to avoid eye strain( we had a big window that had a lovely view, which was lucky!) This would be after 15-20 mins on the computer :)

Hope this helps :)

I use a lower case keyboard it came with one of our RM windowbox machines and I aquired it from the year 6 classroom :)

Not sure what the ruling for time on PCs is if there is one but the advice in offices is to have a break from the screen every hour and distance as already stated

Edited by MARl0N

Hi Polly

I've not heard of any guidelines regarding how much time a child in a nursery setting should spend on a computer. I find that in our pre-school our children more or less decide for themselves how long they sit there. Of course it depends on how interested they are at what we have on the pc during the session! Some children will just come to have a look, click a few times with the mouse, and then leave it whilst other children would sit there for the whole of the free play period. We find that we have to limit the time each child spends just to enable ALL the children to get a turn.

As to distance from screen, again our children adjust the distance themselves accordingly. Some will pull the chair up close, some will push it away. We do have large monitor though (21").

We did have a lower case keyboard which was very useful as we found the children recognised more easily the letters of their names when asked to type them out, as opposed to the usual keyboard with capitals. Unfortunately our lower case keyboard has just decided to stop working :o so it's back to collecting Tescos vouchers when they start them again!!

personally id rather spend money on something else than buy a lower case keyboard. Id get the key stickers instead, although you still have the problem of wanting upper and lower case to write names. We have black on yellow key stickers for the benefit of the visual impaired pupils we have.

We have a five minute timer and after their 5 minutes they are allowed to stay and watch another friend on the program then they have to go and find something else to do. We find this means they are not sat at the screen too long and also means all the children get a chance. They are allowed back on the computer later in the session if they want :)

Megsmum

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)