Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Homework

Can someone please advise me or share their experiences of how much homework to send home (Y1 and Y2). At the moment we are sending Lit and Num home alternate weeks, spellings weekly and reading. Should we be sending more?

I would say that is certainly more than enough! I suppose it depends on the area you are in and the support that the children get from their parents. in R and Y1 we ask parents to share library books, and for them to listen to their child read. In R the children take home a small book that has the Jolly phonics sound and picture of action to pracice. In Y1 they begin to take home a picture with high frequency words. Our Y2 children take home reading books to share, high frequency sheets as and when necessary. They also have spellings given on a Wednesday to be tested on a Friday.

My son's school (he is Y1) send home reading books and spellings on a Monday for a test on friday.

Guest tinkerbell

I send homework home every Friday for the following Friday so they get the weekend as well.

Lit 10 phonic words

maths sheet on something we have covered that week.

At the front of homework book they have the 45 reception high frequency words to learn to read and spell (nearly there and they will then get the ks1 LIST)

The children take home a library book on Friday and a maths game.They have reading books which I change once a week.

I hate homework for any child in primary school. After many evenings of tears and tantrums trying to make the oldest one do it, I decided it was too incumbant on family time. I was having to shout at him and why the heck should I do that in his own time? I was quite happy for them to do homework if they could do it all themselves and understood the aim, but if I was having to spend hours trawling the internet or looking in the library then I didnt consider it was 'their' homework. I was told by the school that homework helped them to prepare for secondary school, well I prepared them by telling them that at secondary they would have to do it or they would face consequences, :o so they have always done it there. I realise schools have some kind of homework rule, and it might be unavoidable for teachers to set it, but really, keep it to the minimum, these are very young children who should be able to go home and chill out.

Here endeth my rant of the day :D

well I prepared them by telling them that at secondary they would have to do it or they would face consequences, :o 

Rea, you really crack me up sometimes. xD

With my parent hat on can I say that fitting in homework with small children is actually very difficult. My two (5 and 7 years) are quite tired when they get in from school and need time to chill out. Some of the homework they get actually takes a good half hour because they are unwilling to concentrate. It is also stressful when I am trying to think about dinner and housework (having been at work most of the day myself as well). To my mind, if children of this age are viewing it as 'work' rather than gaining any pleasure from it then it isn't worth doing. There is plenty of time later in life for homework. :)

Rea, you really crack me up sometimes.  :o

With my parent hat on can I say that fitting in homework with small children is actually very difficult.  My two (5 and 7 years) are quite tired when they get in from school and need time to chill out.  Some of the homework they get actually takes a good half hour because they are unwilling to concentrate.  It is also stressful when I am trying to think about dinner and housework (having been at work most of the day myself as well).  To my mind, if children of this age are viewing it as 'work' rather than gaining any pleasure from it then it isn't worth doing.  There is plenty of time later in life for homework.  :)

49716[/snapback]

Absobloody utely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate homework. My daughter Yr 2 has got 38 spellings to learn this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do I do? Make her learn them and have a sressy time or not bother and her feel a failure if she gets them wrong? xD

I really really hate homework too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with above anit-homework comments and have refused to get into a 'stress' situation with my own children over it.

Luckily the primary school concerned is quite lax about homework.

Now my eldest daughter is at secondary school, she is very good about doing her homework with no nagging from me. (Did need to support her when she first went - although always quite motivated)

At primary they should be playing as much as poss.

Also can someone please tell me, what is the point of learning spellings? (at best it can only be an exercise in short term memory) and as for those first 45 BORING NLS words, well I'd like to stick them somewhere (and leave them there!!!!!!!!!!)

We have NO homework for my class - they have reading books/class library books to share at home and a Sharing Book - bit like a scrap book to stick things in or draw in if they want.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)