Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Minibeasts

Hi everyone. I was just wandering if anyone has any ideas for continous provision. Our new topic this term is minibeasts. Your ideas will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

xxxx

Hi

What about putting cooked spaghetti in the water tray to look like worms.

Make finger puppet spiders

Cut out a number 8 from blak card and make them into spiders

Order minibeast by size

make spiders webbs by dribbling silver paint on black card

put jelly in the water tray with raisins in or hide minibeasts in it

hide minibeasts in sand, count how many you find

make paperplate ladybirds

make number lines using ladybirds add spots together how many on two lady birds etc

make minibeast pizza, circle, divided up, decorate with clipart minibeasts, count how many in each section

Have a tank filled with minibeasts from the garden

write letters to miss muffet saying you are sorry for scaring her, talk about feelings

Look at Matisse the snail http://www.tate.org.uk/imap/pages/animated...tisse/snail.htm

make Snail Sandwiches

A slice of bread, white or brown

Choice of filling (something that you will be able to spread, e.g. jam or cheese spread)

Small pieces of carrot or liquorice

Trim the crusts off the bread and then spread your chosen filling so that it covers one side of the slice completely. Carefully roll up the bread until you have a log shape, which you can then slice into pieces about 2-3cm thick. Stand the spirals of bread on their sides with the edge of the bread just poking out from the bottom, as shown above, you can then add some small pieces of either carrot or liquorice to make the stalks for the eyes.

Place the snails on a bed of chopped up lettuce.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Sequence what he eats

counting

days of the week

move like a caterpillar/snail

The bad tempered ladybird

telling the time /size

post-4544-1140645795_thumb.jpg

Edited by MARl0N

Have you seen the Norfolk planning here? It may have other ideas too.

We have a set of various minibeast body parts that we put out on the dough table sometimes. Not sure where they came from - poss ELC. The children also enjoy making plasticine or clay minibeasts, incorporating found objects in their creations (such as leaves, twigs, pebbles etc)

Sorting plastic minibeasts

Making symmetrical butterfly prints

Papier mache balloons to make ladybirds

Creating repeating patterns on caterpillar templates/ printing own repeating pattern caterpillars with e.g. cotton reels

Hi Simcity

Just a quick note to say that I loved the Jelly and raisins idea! We use jelly play quite a lot in our setting because we are low on resources and the children get bored easily because its the same thing all the time. I will definately try that idea when out mini-beasts theme comes along!

Clare

Hi Simcity

Just a quick note to say that I loved the Jelly and raisins idea! We use jelly play quite a lot in our setting because we are low on resources and the children get bored easily because its the same thing all the time. I will definately try that idea when out mini-beasts theme comes along!

Clare

48969[/snapback]

Let me know how you get on. We cover it with a cloth so they can't see whats inside first and get them to feel and guess what it is, without looking, geat fun.

We are doing goldilocks and the 3 bears at the moment, we had great fun today, we put the toy cooker in the messy play area, with coloured porridge, dishes, spoon plates etc very messy but the kids enjoyed it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)