Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking From Freception To Yr 1

Please please can anyone help .I am FS coordinator in a first schol and until this half term everyone levels one piece of chns writing against the P scales every half term.I know the P scales are not right for Reception so I have suggested we use the FS profile strand for writing to show where the children are .However of course the scales are not meant to be used to assess one piece of writing so it cant be used in the way the P scales are and the lit coordinator wants a numerical score that we can use to track progress across school.I feel like Im going around in circles and even though Ive been doing this job for 25 years Im beginning to doubt myself.Would anyone be willing to share how they collect writing /reading assessments that can be put on the school network to track chns progress.Hope Ive explained that properly but Im begining to stress out a bit ..Thanks in anticipation

I use my own skills ladder which combines the p scales with the foundation stage stepping stones. Then i collect a piece of work a term and highlight which elements they are reaching.

I use my own skills ladder which combines the p scales with the foundation stage stepping stones. Then i collect a piece of work a term and highlight which elements they are reaching.

47975[/snapback]

purplecat thank you so much for your prompt answer Would you be able to post a copy of your skills ladder for me to look at ,if you dont mind it would really give me some ideas for our school.

Crestacat

Hi Crestacat,

we have had a similar problem and used the Rosamund Wilson (think I've got that wrong) assessment scales in line with rest of school. However, we feel it is another thing that is a complete waste of time. WE ALREADY HAVE OUR OWN ASSESSMENT - THE PROFILE. Why make work for ourselves?

From half way through last year we just submit our Profile scores for writing. Our Lit Co-ord and Early Years Advisor were both v. happy with this.

Does this help? Keep things simple, thats my motto.

Just re-read post - we felt quite strongly that in FS you should NOT just assess one piece of work but look at the whole child and their writing in lots of contexts as this has quite an outcome on a piece of work.

However, if you just want to assess one bit (which we don't) I can see that the Profile might not work well.

Also, don't accept the argument that older children can only have one bit assessed (SATS) we are dealing with little children with different needs and ways of playing/working etc.

Just re-read post - we felt quite strongly that in FS you should NOT just assess one piece of work but look at the whole child and their writing in lots of contexts as this has quite an outcome on a piece of work.

However, if you just want to assess one bit (which we don't) I can see that the Profile might not work well.

Also, don't accept  the argument that older children can only have one bit assessed (SATS) we are dealing with little children with different needs and ways of playing/working etc.

47995[/snapback]

Also, don't accept  the argument that older children can only have one bit assessed (SATS) we are dealing with little children with different needs and ways of playing/working etc.

47995[/snapback]

Thanks Bungalow I am going to call another KS meeting and thrash this out ,it helps to know that its not just our school who has this issue.Do you just submit profile scores for writing at the end of the year or do you submit them termly .We are expected to put scores on the school network termly for tracking purposes Crestacat

Hi last year we did submit 'scores' termly. First of all the Rosamund Wilson (?) type score and then we stopped that and just used the profile scores.

However, this year the focus is on Speaking and Listening and we have not been asked for any scores. If we were, we would submit the Profile - some children haven't scored yet tho' - but that tells its own story.

At the moment I am reading 'Early Childhood Education' by Tina Bruce and it really is giving me the evidence and courage to stick with and do what I believe in, and I really don't believe in 'marking' or 'scoring' one piece of writing per child.

Good luck.

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Crestacat

We started a few years ago with a book where each half term the children do a piece of unaided writing.This is then levelled using foundation profile writing criteria ( i've just modified this and included the sounds bit too) then the NC writing levels.The book goes with the child to the next class and the progress they make is really evident through looking at the book.After the piece has been marked I take something from it to make a target for the children to concentrate on for the next half term.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)