Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Food Hygiene Legislation

Hi

Food hygiene law January 2006.

We have just passed our food hygiene inspection to enable us to be registered to provide food at snack time. We had to contact the Food safety officer at our local distrcit council.

He told me that all groups that offer food even if it is just an apple have to be registered.

Carol

Hi

Food hygiene law January 2006.

We have just passed our food hygiene inspection to enable us to  be registered to provide food at snack time. We had to contact the Food safety officer at our local distrcit council.

He told me that all groups that offer food even if it is just an apple have to be registered.

Carol

47867[/snapback]

There has been a previous topic on this law. Visit the Food Standards Agency- some GREAT resources available to order free.

Food Standards Agency for more details.

My staff and I are off to do our basic food hygiene training on Wednesday ( at £35 each :o ). Yet another thing we do in our own time and at my expense (employer). Still, I suppose it is the same for everybody working with food.

Peggy

Hi Peggy

That was how I knew about the new regulations from reading the post on here.

We ordered a pack from the food standards agency and he said just to use it for reference as we do not need to fill in the diarys etc in the pack.

He did suggest we noted the fridge temperature down every day. (another piece of paperwork :o ). The inspector did suggest that we do refresher courses avery 3 years but there are no refresher courses available.

I did my food hygiene and safety certificate about 2 yeras ago ... there was a few on the course that didnt get through as they failed the exam paper at the end.

Carol

When this topic first appeared I ordered the pack, phoned my local Public Health/Environmental Health department. Two weeks later (apparently they have been very busy because of the new regulations) and was told we didn't need to register because we only prepared snacks for snack time and baking/cooking as part of the educational offering.

Here we go again!

Deb

I attended Foundation Food Hygiene course today, with 2 of my staff- Cost £105 and 21 man hours. I said to the tutor that we were doing the course as a matter of "good practice" and that whether it is a legal requirement is a very grey area indeed.

I will contact my EHO tomorrow ad if they say I don't need to register / have certificates then I will ask them to confirm it in writing.

The tutor today said about the folders (previously mentioned available from the FSA). She said that a free one had been sent to all registered food outlets including childminders. Any childminders out there recieved one????? Either her information is incorrect or I am not registered with EHO as I thought I was.

What really annoyed me today was that out of the nine people attending only 4 had paid,( me and 1 other) the others were on government funded training, didn't want to be there, disrupted the lesson ( until I told them in no uncertain terms why they were pxxxxxg me off :o ) and took 4 minutes to complete end of day test paper. ( in other words couldn't give a damn) AND they got free lunch. xD

Peggy

I dont blame you for being annoyed Peggy, how did they get their course fees paid when others have to pay for it themselves.

When we had our inspection (which wasnt very detailed) he did say that everyone who prepares food needs to be registered but most places probebly wouldn't need a detailed inspection and he also said that they wouldn't be chasing people up to register or be inspected due to the low food risk that is prepared in pre-schools.

Carol

I dont blame you for being annoyed Peggy, how did they get their course fees paid when others have to pay for it themselves.

When we had our inspection (which wasnt very detailed) he did say that everyone who prepares food needs to be registered but most places probebly wouldn't need a detailed inspection and he also said that they wouldn't be chasing people up to register or be inspected due to the low food risk that is prepared in pre-schools.

Carol

48054[/snapback]

Government funding for training unemployed- I presume that after a period of time they can say you've got this and this certificate there is now no reason for not getting a job. ( this may happen in the ideal world but I don't think it will work in reality)

Your EHO comments make good sense :D I've been inspected twice in four years.

Peggy

we use a church hall that has a luncheon club is it the kitchen or the group that is inspected it seems silly checking a kitchen twice?

we were just thinking of extending our sessions to add a lunch club on the end (children bring their own sandwiches prepared at home) would that still be low risk?

Hi Alison

The school we are attached to has its own inspection and as you would probebly prepare different food to the luncheon club and as it is different staff I think its the group that has to be registered ... phone your local council and they should be able to tell you.

Our EHO said if the children bought in packed lunches as long as we suggested parents used cool blocks that was fine.

Carol

Edited by Carol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)