Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outside Play

Hi,

This is my first ever question for the forum.

I'm a nursery nurse in a state school studying part time. I am writing an assignment on outside play and would like to know practitioners thoughts on outside play in the foundation stage. Should we setup the activities for the children or provide the resources and allow for creativity? I have my thoughts but would be interested in feedback from different settings.

Many thanks

Denise :)

Hi there Denise, and welcome on board, glad you have made your first of (hopefully) many posts.

There is a discussion somewhere on here about outdoor play which should give you lots of ideas. Perhaps Steve could put in the link for you (pretty please sSteve :D:D:D:D:D:D:D )

Hi Denise, and welcome in! :D

(I'm going to have to give you a course on how to do this one day Mundia! :o )

Here's a good recent discussion

This conversation discusses providing adult cover for outdoor play

This is an oldie but a goodie!

Hope these help. You said you have some ideas - let us know what you think! There seems to be no absolute truth with regard to outdoor play, so your point of view will be as valid as anyone elses!

Best wishes,

Steve.

Hi Denise, and welcome :D

I think the answer to your question is a bit of both!

We set up some things outside before the children have access to it, but leave other things (often natural materials, mark-making equipment, PE-type equipment and sensory activities) freely available for the children to be creative with. We very often "go with the flow" with the children outside, following their current interests, etc., but bearing in mind the stepping stones that we are focussing on inside the nursery.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

I think that if we set-up all outdoor activities we are taking away opportunities for children to be creative, and limiting their experiences.

Denise

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)