Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Going Round In Circles

hi everyone

im up to my eyes in studying, as are many of us, can anyone give an indication as to what if any ofsted policies are statutory within lea schools. ive just created an in depth policy for the foundation stage......as i work in the nursey class of a primary school, and we've a brand new head who isnt quite sure what is required. additionally i have to try and back up my choice with evidence. ive been on ofsted and dfes sites with no joy. can anyone help. also ive just read the post on reggio, im currently comparing our early years settings with those of reggio especially in austrailia so thanks for the extra sites its a facinating area of education to research. we are currently trying out some of the different approaches in our class. also a forum for us budding graduates would be great. ive another 18 months of this the more help the better.

back to the books

jo

Hi there Jo. Im sure someone will have just the answer you are looking for but in the mean time, perhaps I can ask what your Head is querying in particular? Are you the FS coordinator (if you are writing policies, I am making that assumption). What was there in the past and did it need updating? Every setting I have ever worked in has been so different , but all equally good in their own way. Are you considering following a curriculum different from the FS Guidance? Sorry so many questions, but it may help us to give you better ideas.

Hi Jo -

Good to hear from you!

Can't help with the LEA schools policies I'm afraid as I'm more geared towards pre-schools. Hopefully some of our experienced reception/yr 1 teachers will be able to help!

With regard to the dedicated student forum, I'm still trying to figure out how to break it down properly. There are students on all kinds of courses here, as well as a few of the lecturers that run the degrees and other courses. I'll give it some more thought!

Regards, Steve.

mundia,

thanks for your reply......yes i am a 2nd year student on the new sector endorsed foundation degree in early years, working towards my B ed in education in early years and yes i do work full time as well as classed as a full time student and mum of 3. ive worked as an early years educator for 15yrs and have decided to follow in my partners footsteps and become a teacher. (he's a ks2 teacher) my head is new to his job so advice on assignments is not top of his agenda. we have to as part of our assignment draft a policy document which is relating to ofsted requirements.........what requirements? ive been a pre-school manager and know all about documents but school is a totally different kettle of fish, i cant find any requirements from the ofsted site as evidence hence going round in circles. i hope this makes things a little clearer, as ive got 2 other assignments to get stuck into and this is darwing a total blank for me

help!

jo

Somewhere in your new Heads office will be the new 'Handbook for Inspecting nursery and Primary schools' that came in force in sept this year. Its green and probably at the bottom of a load of more important stuff unless you have OFSTED impending. It may be downloadabale form the OFSTED site if you go to publications and do a search.

As far as I can remember from my last inspection which is only a year ago, there are really only 4 areas that they look at which are

1. Learning in each of the 6 areas of learning

2. Teaching

3. Leadership and Management (more of a focus in a nursery school)

4. Partnership with Parents.

I might have this slightly wrong so if you locate the green book, it will confirm or otherwise. In terms of a policy, I would think that if your policy covers those areas, you cant be going far wrong. But I have to say that when we were inspected, they never looked at the policies despite us desperately getting them updated as they were a little old.

I admire you being able to work and study full time and be a mum. I had to virtually give up work when I went back to uni- I couldnt cope with both!!!!

thanx mudia,

ive got the journal at work so ill have a good luck in it. my next problem is i need to aquire a pro-forma of a different setting and was hoping to look at Reggio education, do you know of any settings that follow that ethos? im desperately looking to find some however i know that in lancashire there isn't many if any. ive read that Bristol has got a few, is there any members that can help me? i need to contact them to get some sort of propectus to act as evidence. i can feel a dizzy spell comming on again as i go around in circles once again. hahaha

jo