Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Awful Day!

Hi All

I apologise in advance for this post, but just needed somewhere to offload :o

Today has just been horrendous!!!

Started with getting up late - so had to rush the children to school - forgot their lunchboxes and had to come back home and then back to school.

Got to nursery to find the front entrance had been smashed again xD

and the pipe under the kitchen sink was leaking!!!

Two staff had phoned in sick (we,ve got a bug going round at the moment)

The photocopier kept jamming all morning, so couldn't sort out the invoices.

During lunch breaks one of the staffs car windows was smashed :(:( so we had the police taking statements all afternoon.

Another member of staff lost her mobile phone

Then to finish it off the EYDCP phoned to consult on a survey about staffing.

A brilliant day - all in the life of a manager.

Still the children continued to be fab :D

Sorry for the moan!!

Sue Z

Oh dear, sorry to hear about your rotten day. At least its nice to know that we can offload here amongst our friends. I note that you are Brum like me, and guess that you work in one of those 'choice' areas (Balsall Heath) in my case. Do you have big problem with crime? We used to, almost weekly at the weeends but it seems to have got better this year (perhaps because we dont have nay computers left to nick :o ).

Weve just had the EYDCP survey -they must be doing the rounds- I think we do one every year.

So what do you do to de-stress. Its hot bath and Tai Chi for me :D

Tomorrow cant be worse, so it has to be better :D

Hi Sue Z

Boy and here was me thinking I've had a stressful week of it. You are really in need of TLC.

We had our care commission inspection on Monday, it was really a grilling session, it really felt like overkill, we are only a wee playgroup. Discovered today from our chairperson that in fact they had thought we were a full time private pre-school nursery and charged us £130 for the privalege of being grilled. Turns out it was the wrong type of inspection and was too indepth for the service we provide. However, I am pleased to say we still passed with the exception of a few nit picky admin probs. Amended bill £13, not much of a difference!!!!

We have had lots of flu in our area with staff, volunteers and children affected. I think that is one of the most stressful things not having your full staff quota, I think the children sense stress and seem to take full advantage of the situation. We were short staffed on Wednesday and seemed to have gang warfare going on the play room!!!!

Alls well that ends well though, it is nearly Saturday. Lots of chocolate and wine, works everytime for me!! You love it really, just think of their wee faces when something really nice happens in the playroom. Your heart just melts.

Marathon.

What a lovely post, Marathon, warmed the cockles, etc etc :D

We've had a day of it too, with one vomiting all over the place, and another one falling asleep at snacktime (Mum said he woke up at 4 o'clock this morning!).

I totally agree about chilling out; I've booked a massage, and then it's wine and chocolate for me too this evening, maybe a video and a log fire........ :)

Hi All

Thanks for the replies.

The week has ended well despite the weather xD

We've received some unexpected funding - only £500 - but that's a significant amount to us.

We're going to put it towards the further development of the outdoor curriculum.

I'm off on a hen night tonight, so I'm definately going to chill :o

Dear All,

Really interested to hear about all your problems this week, mine have not been so bad but we are just coming out of a full moon and there have been particularly high winds. Call me mad if you want but I can always pinpoint the most difficult times at my group when these two happen together - so much so that I now look at new moons and behaviour. Have I finally cracked or has anyone else noticed patterns of behaviour?

Nikki

Hi Sue -

Enjoy the Hen night - sounds like you deserve to let your hair down!

Nikki - there's a definite correlation between high winds and excitable behaviour in our setting! Don't know about the full moon though. Sounds a bit spooky to me... :o

Nikki I agree, There is a correlation bwteen the phases of the moon and behaviour but I doubt that there's any reserch on this (now there's an idea for a PhD xD ). I do my gardening by the moon phases, so it affects plants, and tides, it has to affect people too. And of course, we get the word 'lunacy' from the moon.

So, I dont mind if we are mad together :o

Dear All,

Well thank goodness it wasn't just me that had an awful week, never mind an awful day! One little boy has been a nightmare all week long with neither us or his parents knowing why. I was interested to read about the correlation between behaviour and the high winds and phases of the moon. I knew about the winds but the moon is something I will certainly be checking in my diary.

Hopefully next week will be better for all of us but I find that a little retail therapy calms me down.

Margot Best

Hi Margot -

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post! :D Hope the shopping trip goes well - perhaps you can claim it as an expense against your stressful job? Also, I hope this community can act as a release valve of sorts!

Mundia, I need to hear more about gardening by the lunar phases. I have this image of you gardening at night, but I'm sure that can't be right :o

Perhaps lunar gardening merits a new thread?

Sounds like its been an interesting week all round. Will definately check out the moon phases though. The children have been mad this week. Do you think it effects adults behaviour as well?.......The staff here have been awful too. I don't think i have ever witnessed so much tension and tears. Very nearly handed in my notice!!!

Anyway sorry about my moaning! Hopefully next week will be better!

Steve, I have to laugh at the thought that Im digging up my carrots in my nightie. Perhaps Ill start a new thread in the Lounge.

Margot, welcome, Im afraid shopping doesnt do it for me -at least not at this time of year but enjoy...

I taught a little boy with epilepsy last year, Mum & I were convinced that he got more absences when there was high pressure. Not quite the same as full moon, I know, but I thought it was interesting!! :o

I'll look out next full moon and see what the little ones seem like!

What do they say?

Great minds think alike .....

Must be the weather, but isn't it great to know that we all think along the same lines

......and fools seldom differ!! :o

• 3 weeks later...

wow so interesting to hear about all the weather and moon theories

Im with the "high pressure theories" before working in preschool I used to work in a large care home for teenagers with learning and behaviour problems a large percentage also had epilepsy and we could always tell when the next storm was due because the number of fits and behaviour tantrums use to rise considerably

many people myself included get high presure head aches so imagine what that does to the mood of the group.....

but talking about bad days at work-

the other day I had the worst day ever in my entire life of working with children, a child had a vile temper tantrum and started to throw toys, not just little toys but anything and everything. I tried every possible tactic distraction, time out and everything made him worse, I couldnt try ignoring him because he was throwing toys and a danger to the other children. I went home and felt drained and a complete failure. I spent the weekend thinking about giving up, having worked with children for 15 years I thought maybe I need a break

it turned out that the child who threw the tantrum had an ear infection and was possibly in pain and litterally became the "bear with a soar head"

then this week was a complete turn around the children where wonderful the sessions went well and Yesterday was one of the best sessions I have had in a long time maybe I wont give up this week!