Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents Workshop

:) Hi there! We're having a workshop for our parents/carers a week on friday (17th Feb). Its basically just to get parents involved but also to give a bit of an insight into how we work (we are a FS unit by the way) and how children can learn through play. Our topic is toys so I thought we'd base the activities loosely on that theme but thats as far as I've got! Is there any body out there who has held a workshop who could offer some advice or even if you haven't any ideas for activities parents could do with their child? Also, I would like to display in each area a description of how the children can learn in that area (its something ive been meaning to do for ages any way-not just for parents but for visitors/helpers and a reminder to staff) eg in the water 'Children may learn about capacity by filling and emptying containers'key questions could be...which cup do you think will hold the most wateretc etc etc i could have a go at doing it myself but it would take ages :o and even then id probably miss something out. ) Does any one have a copy of this sort of thing that they wouldnt mind sharing or could direct me to someplace I could find it????I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it. :):):):):) Thanks

ZimXXX

There are lots of continuous provision sheets posted in the forums. You can find some here but I know there are others. Maybe a forum search would find them?

Nursery world has also done a good series of posters which show learning, resources and adult role in each area.

Making playdough would be an easy activityand something the parents could continue at home.

Peggy

Hi Zim

We do Inspire workshops usaully one a term where we invite the aprenst in to work on an activity with their child. They are a logistic nightmare to organise (14 languages for one thing), but they are really loved by parents and chidlren who get quality time with their parents.

We usually make soemthing for them to take home eg a game, we have in the past made number fans and then demonstarted how they work, dominoes, phoneme fans, we have even done letter formation. We also demonstrated a circle time once!

I would keep it simple for the first one you do, because of the organising and give yourself plenty of time to do it. If you have problems getting parents to do things, make it at the start of the day and nag! Think about what you wil do of parenst dont come and the space you will need for whatever you decife to do. You may decide to work with some parents at a time..we also do a dual language book project where we work with parents from a particular language group at a time in grouos of about 6.

Im not sure if thats of any help?

:) Thanks ASPK-thats great, don't seem to be able to download past the conssruction one but it may just be my computer so I'll try again later. (thanks to Jacquie for those) :) Thanks Peggy-playdough's a great idea--how many parents did you have doing this at a time? Did you do the one where you cook it? Just trying to picture it now :o Thanks too for all your ideas Mundina-graet help :):):):):):):):):)

:) Thanks ASPK-thats great, don't seem to be able to download past the conssruction one but it may just be my computer so I'll try again later. (thanks to Jacquie for those) :) Thanks Peggy-playdough's a great idea--how many parents did you have doing this at a time? Did you do the one where you cook it? Just trying to picture it now :o  Thanks too for all your ideas Mundina-graet help :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

47417[/snapback]

Small groups are best, if you have "some I made earlier" for waiting parents to explore in different ways whilst others make it, this works well. There are many recipes and a few of these could be made available to take home ( possibly raise some funds by selling a pamphlet of recipes for 50p / £1 each).

I do the non cook ( flour, salt, water colourings) and the cook- cream of tartar etc ( but not on a stove, using hot water) :D

Enjoy.

Peggy

another idea is to have a painting / collage / gluing activity, but the only rule is that they must not have a particular recognised end result. Just the opportunity to explore - adults find this very difficult and helps to start discussion on the importance for the children of the doing, and not the end result. By striving for an end result we forget the never ending potential of what can happen if we just explore. ( if you know what I mean)

Peggy

:):) Thanks again Peggy. I'm going to brave making playdough in front of parents thanks to you!!! So glad Steve that the downloading attachments thing wasnt my fault-have also been having a few problems with my own pc I think so haven't got them all yet but thanks SO MUCH to jacquie for sharing those continuous provision sheets (it was so long ago you probably wont be reading this but thanks any way really appreciate it :) ) thanks also to Sarah for the later ones. Any updates any one? Anyway, it s nearly 11pm-ridiculous oclock :D to be up planning a workhop but I feel much better now armed with all your help and advice. Now all I need is sleep ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :o

ZimXXXXXX

How did your workshop go Zim? Hope you survived - I'd love to hear what you did and how parents reacted. I'd like to do something along these lines.

Harricroft

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)