Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Needed Please

My Nursery nurse has achieved her degree in EY education and has now been given an interview for a place on the Langdale Skitt Course in the North East .I am sure she will sail through it because she is very good and very experienced but she is starting to panic about the interview questions and has heard about 'the toys in the bag'.Can anyone help me to set her mind at rest.

Thank you

Crestacat

Hi, Im on the Gateshead SCITT at the moment and can remember the interview from last year. We were given a box with a number of items in and had to make an activity out of it. I just made a bit of a feely box and then asked the children to talk about the item they picked out and then removed one item at a time and asked them what I had removed. I have also been a nursery nurse for a number of years so felt at a bit of an advantage as most people have never been in a classroom before.

Tell her not to worry too much, its really daunting but the course itself is absolutely fantastic, hard work but great, wish her good luck, Brenda

Brenda Posted Today, 14:38

Hi, Im on the Gateshead SCITT at the moment and can remember the interview from last year. We were given a box with a number of items in and had to make an activity out of it. I just made a bit of a feely box and then asked the children to talk about the item they picked out and then removed one item at a time and asked them what I had removed. I have also been a nursery nurse for a number of years so felt at a bit of an advantage as most people have never been in a classroom before.

Tell her not to worry too much, its really daunting but the course itself is absolutely fantastic, hard work but great, wish her good luck, Brenda

Brenda Posted Today, 14:38

47336[/snapback]

Brenda thank you for the prompt reply I appreciate it Can you remember any of the questions they asked you at your interview :)

Brenda thank you for the prompt reply I appreciate it Can you remember any of the questions they asked you at your interview :)

47339[/snapback]

Yeah, they asked what steps I had takes to prepare for a career in teaching,

how to build an effective working relationship with children and

what I would do with a child who refuses to join in an activity.

We also had to write a short piece about a teacher we could remember from school, mark a child's maths test and do a presentation about 'What learning means to me',

Hope that helps

Brenda x

Edited by Guest

Hi Crestacat, how long has your NN got to prepare for her interview? The process does seem to vary very much from pace to place so it might be a good idea to see if between you you know anyone who has done the same course before.

Here, our SCITTs have to write an essay in about half an hour, prepare a presentation (usually about 10 min) and then have a formal interview. One question that comes up year after year here is about how you see your role as as a teacher different from the role you have as a TA/LSA/NN (or whatver). We also ask candiates to identify their own strengths and weaknesses if possible referring to the training to teach standards.

Your colleague obvioulsy has a lot of experience to offer but could you ask the Head or if you have a school based training mentor to do a mock interview with her? (or do this yourself?) I do a lot of these with trainee teachers and they always say it has helped them when they come to the real thing.

I hope she gets on OK, do let us know.

Hi Crestacat, how long has your NN got to prepare for her interview? The process does seem to vary very much from pace to place so it might be a good idea to see if between you you know anyone who has done the same course before.

Here, our SCITTs have to write an essay in about half an hour, prepare a presentation (usually about 10 min) and then have a formal interview. One question that comes up year after year here is about how you see your role as  as a teacher different from the role you have as a TA/LSA/NN (or whatver). We also ask candiates to identify their own strengths and weaknesses if possible referring to the training to teach standards.

Your colleague obvioulsy has a lot of experience to offer but could you ask the Head or if you have a school based training mentor to do a mock interview with her? (or do this yourself?) I do a lot of these with trainee teachers and they always say it has helped them when they come to the real thing.

I hope she gets on OK, do let us know.

47397[/snapback]

hi Mundia

She has until begining of March to prepare so she does have the half term holiday .Im really grateful for your advice and I think the idea of a mock interview is really good ,I will suggest it to her ,

Thank you both for your advice and I will pass it on.

Ive actually suggested that my NN should join this site because of the wealth of knowledg and support available .

Once again thanks and I will let you know how she gets on .

Crestacat :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)