Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Flip Flops?

Hi there. Im preparing for teaching practice and one of the teachers talked about flip flops. I know the ones you wear on your feet but what are they in the classroom. She didnt elaborate but they are something to do with numeracy hour. I couldnt find anythng about them in the numeracy strategy.

Help anyone?

Hi

I was intrigued by your post and the only flip flops I know of are the footwear variety :D

I work in a pre-school but did a quick google search and came up with this

If you're wondering what 'flip flops' are, read on.

Introducing the....

Counting Concertina

Price:

£20

Description:

15 blank concertinas

The Counting Concertina is a ten-part plastic wallet which can be used for various activities in the mental/oral starter, the main part of the lesson or the plenary.

The concertinas are available in packs of 15 and come complete with general guidelines for use and a password to enable access to the artwork on the Bolton TLC.

They can be used for:

* Counting * Multiplications * Fractions * Percentages * * Calculation Strategies * Decimals*

I am sure someone will be along soon with far more helpful advice but thought this may be of some intial help!

Thanks for your replies, but what do they look like and what are they for. Obviously maths but what do you do with them? I think I feeling a bit stupid on this one.

Marion that would be great if you have a pattern

Hi Jawariyah -

Like most of the others I've not really come across them before. But I found this page which might make it visually more obvious. If you go to this page then click the 'How to Make Flip Flops' link, you'll get a MS Word document to download, which contains a visual representation. Might help you understand how they work? :)

Thanks for your replies, but what do they look like and what are they for. Obviously maths but what do you do with them? I think I feeling a bit stupid on this one.

47376[/snapback]

You use them for number bonds. You can fold them so that you can show any number of pictures (1 to 10) to the children and the have to say how many are hidden i.e. if they can see 6 pictures, there must be 4 hidden.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)