Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy Schemes

We are a through primary and for numeracy planning the whole school use the abacus scheme which caters for foundation. Our literacy co-ordinator is keen to use a similiar acheme for literacy which also caters for reception. Does anyone or has anyone ever used a scheme for literacy?

Lola

not really, I reckon the fs guidance creates a pretty comprehensive framework for any subject. We have to think how we will deliver it, which is what a scheme would do for you I suppose, but personally I like that freedom to be creative which the other key stages have lost through endless repetitious QCA units! I did rate the Rigby star books for reading (mainly because the handy adult crib sheets helped my LSAs with group reading activities!). I've had complaints about abacus from a couple of the teachers I work with, who reckon it's too highly pitched for their children, so would be interested in your opinion re that.

Hi Catma, you can look at Abacus via hamiltontrust.org.uk.

Personally I think its better than most and is useful to have something to follow and adapt (which is how I used it) to ensure coverage! The Foundation programme which comes in 2 parts FS1 & FS2 is also better than the original Reception year stuff, and allows you to differentiate more extensively, if required.

I too like the Rigby starr scheme.

I havent used a literacy scheme but have you thought about " Literacy goes MADD"--quite expensive but covers literacy through music, art , dance and drama. It was on my shopping list when I was Literacy coordinator but always too expensive!

We used to use the Year R version and like you, we felt it was too highly pitched. We have recently invested in the foundation stage version which is much better

Lola

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)