Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guided Reading

Hi Lola and welcome! :D

You may find these discussions useful here and here.

If you do a forum search (top right) you will find some other conversations where this has been discussed.

I like Guided reading in reception as a means to teach reading skills, such as print tracking etc but it can be hard work!

Good luck.

As i understand it, guidance from the early reading development pilot (draft materials)- I was reading them yesterday for the first time - indicates that children should take part in guided reading group sessions, where the focus is on independence, when they are ready, ie when they have some idea of 1-1 correspondence, L to R tracking, are able to identify print etc etc, before that they should be developing their understanding of text through sharing books and talking about texts with adults in a "shared reading" style. It was very heartening to read this as I am often having debates with the Literacy consultants in my team about this - but I have always taken the line that it depends on children's developmental stage as to whether or not they take part in traditional "guided group" work.

Some of the other links had info from people involved inthe pilot so it would be interesting to get more from them - We were asked to be one of the boroughs involved but due to capacity in our team we just couldn't really see how we could do it, which was a shame. It would have een really interesting to have worked on it.

As i understand it, guidance from the early reading development pilot (draft materials)- I was reading them yesterday for the first time -  indicates that children should take part in guided reading group sessions, where the focus is on independence, when they are ready, ie when they have some idea of 1-1 correspondence, L to R tracking, are able to identify print etc etc, before that they should be developing their understanding of text through sharing books and talking about texts with adults in a "shared reading" style. It was very heartening to read this as I am often having debates with the Literacy consultants in my team about this - but I have always taken the line that it depends on children's developmental stage as to whether or not they take part in traditional "guided group" work.

Some of the other links had info from people involved inthe pilot so it would be interesting to get more from them - We were asked to be one of the boroughs involved but due to capacity in our team we just couldn't really see how we could do it, which was a shame. It would have een really interesting to have worked on it.

47035[/snapback]

Do you have a link to this catma?

guided reading was something me and the literacy manager discussed we have decided to do what we call as group reading rather than guided reading as it is less formal and more relaxed. we have only just started doing it as many of my children are beging to read. we talk about the book, share interests from it, dicuss anything that is brought up and i model the reading, they jion in and say if they know what is says etc. i think its worked well the children have learnt the strategies of how to read, 1-1 coropondence, using pictures as clues, sounding out etc.

i must say they i would never do it unless i knew they were really ready as some od mine seem to be.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)