Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Unit 10.3 Understanding Maths And Science

Hi again! this unit is driving me mad! Can anyone please give me some ideas for an activity to help children learn the concept of time? I jut can't think straight at the moment, this is an awful unit to do! Any ideas greatly accepted...........thanks

Not sure this is what you're after, but how about a sequencing activity: may be what they do through the day (have breakfast, get dressed, go to school/nursery, have lunch, go home, have tea, have bath, go to bed) which could be limited to just the nursery/school day. Or doing a story sequence, e.g. what happened next. Both these ideas can use pictures to guide the children. If you do the day sequencing, perhaps you could use a picture of a sun & moon alongside to indicate the time of day this happens.

What time is it Mr Wolf?

Time is such a hard concept isnt it?

Going off the subject a little bit -

I have flash cards of the days of the week on the bottom of my white board and I keep muddling them up and some little person keeps putting them back in the right order.

I have made a bit joke of this and the kids think it is hilarious, I still dont know which children are doing it but i am pretty impressed how quickly they have learned to read the days and sequence them.

What's your age group? Because NVQ covers 0-8 doesn't it? This is one that ought to be easier with older ones.

For younger ones you could look at sequences in photos e.g. of themselves from babyhood, or what's happened since the start of the academic year last September.

This one cant be guarenteed because you need a sunny day, but, I like to draw a chalk line on the floor to mark the edge of the window frame and watch as the sun the moves how the chalk line has to be redrawn in a difference place. Watch the weather forecast. :D

Use sand timers, if you're lucky you'll have access to the ones with 30 seconds, 1minute etc, or get the children to make some. Use a kitchen timer to ring out a given no. of minutes to say an activity needs to finish or change. Remember the clocks from the science labs anyone? Bit like the ones they use in chess, dont they have a stop and go button? Whatever, have fun anyway :D

Like Chocolate Girl, I would read a book about routines - something which involves getting up, having breakfast, going to school, lunch - you know the sort of thing. You can then incorporate time by asking the children to sequence activity pictures based on the story or talk to them about what time they go to bed or get up.

The Hungry Catepillar is good for the concept of time and links fantastically into topics about mini-beasts and growing.

Another good activity is growing cress - you can bring in units of time by looking at whether it has grown after 1 second, 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day etc.

HTH

Sharon

Thanks so much for all the input! some of these ideas I already do! I must be brain dead! thanks for jogging the old gray cells

Like Chocolate Girl, I would read a book about routines - something which involves getting up, having breakfast, going to school, lunch - you know the sort of thing.  You can then incorporate time by asking the children to sequence activity pictures based on the story or talk to them about what time they go to bed or get up.

The Hungry Catepillar is good for the concept of time and links fantastically into topics about mini-beasts and growing.

Another good activity is growing cress - you can bring in units of time by looking at whether it has grown after 1 second, 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day etc.

HTH

Sharon

46959[/snapback]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)