Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Visit To The Library- Help!

Help!

I have planned to take my Nursery (in 2 sessions) to the library on Monday. I have sent out a letter asking parents to sign and write who can accompany their child. (as I have had trouble with parent help before)

Today most of the parents have come back to me saying they cannot come and they want us to take them, despite the fact that I said we have have a ration of 1:2 and we need people to come with us.

Now I am a bit stuck, it will be a really nice opportunity for the children.

Any ideas anyone? :o

We had the same problem with lack of parent helpers so when we went to the library we asked them to meet us there and collect from there. Very few bothered to come which was a shame because the library is shut on Wednesdays but allowed us to go then to have the whole place to ourselves with use of the computers. Would it be possible fortwo staff to take 4 children at a time? If thats no good just tell them the trip is cancelled. I used to tell our parents that it wasnt my children missing out, but this was towards the end of my time there when I'd become jaded and bitter and twisted. :o:D

Its a shame that they will miss out but there again think carefully about what risks you would be taking if you were to take them. You have agreed the policies and procedures and you should therefore not have to change to them to suit individual circumstances. Perhaps if you cancel it parents might feel a little more obliged and might just make an effort to help if they can. I recongise that lots of parents are unable to for a number of reasons, work commitments, siblings etc but there must be a few who can. Good luck

Nikki

It is a shame, but as Nikki say's the parents may have other commitments. I agree with Rea also, small groups of four if you have enough staff to stay with the ones left at preschool.

The only other option is to invite the librarian to the preschool, although this is obviously not the same experience.

Hope it works out for you. Maybe a note asking parents what day they would be available to help, then do your planning of outings from that information.

Peggy

Thank you all for your help,

I have come to the same conclusion. I am cancelling the trip for the moment and will take them in small groups after half term.

I think I need to look at things in a different way in the future and not expect parent help (as I did in my last school) and probably realsie that parents have other things going on.

I feel better anyway! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)