Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

When Is A Student Not A Student?

Hi All

these stories of students sound so familiar xD:):(

we regularly get short term placement students for two week periods and I would easily say

- 90% never attend for the full period of two weeks

-most stand around with hands in their pockets waiting to be told what to do next,

On the rare occassion that we have a good student we cannt sing their praises high enough that when they leave they probably think they are the best thing since sliced bread when really they are just average!!!

I got so frustrated with the way students seem to either constantly play with the same group of children, play too rough and tumble or sit at a distance watching rather than doing, that I ended up drawing up a list of guidlines explaining to students what I expected from them during the session (professionalism!) and then a space at the bottom where they have to sign to confirm that they have read the guidlines.

I tell students that Jewellery should be minimal because the children will pull at anything shiny and clothing has to be practical because I might spill paint on it if it looks too posh!!!!

I try my hardest to scare the time wasters off on the first day with stories of poohy nappies, sick and any other horror story I can make up!!!

Am I wicked????? :o

I was thinking that maybe a copy of these posts would be useful to send to local careers officers and school / college placement officers to read.....until Alison added her post :o:D:D:D

I think there should be a WHOLE CURRICULUM SUBJECT AREA /FOCUS in Secondary schools on DEVELOPING INITIATIVE / COMMON SENSE.

I agree with the point that maybe these type of students haven't had opportunities to express themselves creatively, or to develop social skills, or even self esteem and identity, thus, why they appear to enjoy solitary/solo play exploring media and materials.

A bit more emphasis on PSE and Creative development instead of CLL and Maths during WHOLE school life could possibly rectify this. xD

Peggy

You are right Peggy that the careers advisors should be more responsible, but the local colleges should take their part too. My friend works in a college and she said that they have to get as many students in as they can so they get funding. So alot of the time they know that some applicants aren't suitable, but would rather show good figures than lose money!

It is also demoralising for the tutors that come out to observe these students, must be awful when they know they aren't really interested.

p.s. I LOVE "professional" hairdressers - where would we be without them!!!

50027[/snapback]

I agree about student not always being suitable. I used to teach the BTEC at my local college (4 yrs ago) and although I have enjoyed many years of tutoring mature adults, I did find the young adults on the BTEC really hard work. They literally wanted me as the tutor to do the work for them. At the end of one term I set a multiple choice questionairre ( ie; GAVE THEM THE ANSWERS). The prior week I was off (didn't matter, it was their study/ revision week before the test) Well, on the day of the test, the whole class refused to do it, saying I wasn't there to help them with their revision, so therefore I hadn't taught them anything. I had literally spent weeks tutoring the numeracy / literacy strategy. I immediatly went to my superior and told her I would not teach the class again. I left the college soon after. :o

That's when I decided to go back to work with under 5's who are all motivated to learn. :D

Peggy

It's not only with young, usually girls, who are in childcare classes. My 15 yr old son is on the run up to his GCSE's. He needs certain results in order to go to the 6th form college. Now, I never worked hard at school and I never revised so if he doesnt want to then thats a mistake he'll have to work out for himself. But I suggested to him this morning that he should think about what he'll do if he doesnt get the required grades for the college, he said 'it doesnt matter, the teacher has already said I'll get in just because they know me and what I'm like'. So why should he work at getting the results? What exactly goes on in schools these days that makes everyone think that they dont have to try? His grammer is already a sore point with me, his response to that is that his teachers say it doesnt matter in history or design etc.

I'm still hoping to try tutoring at some point though Peggy, but I'm aware that my tact needs to be worked on first

sorry peggy it was late at night and I hope you al realise I was being sarcastic :o

50056[/snapback]

No need to apologies, I know exactly where your coming from xD

Peggy

It's not only with young, usually girls, who are in childcare classes. My 15 yr old son is on the run up to his GCSE's. He needs certain results in order to go to the 6th form college. Now, I never worked hard at school and I never revised so if he doesnt want to then thats a mistake he'll have to work out for himself. But I suggested to him this morning that he should think about what he'll do if he doesnt get the required grades for the college, he said 'it doesnt matter, the teacher has already said I'll get in just because they know me and what I'm like'. So why should he work at getting the results? What exactly goes on in schools these days that makes everyone think that they dont have to try? His grammer is already a sore point with me, his response to that is that his teachers say it doesnt matter in history or design etc.

I'm still hoping to try tutoring at some point though Peggy, but I'm aware that my tact needs to be worked on first

50055[/snapback]

You go for it Rea, Don't let my story put you off, it's not all like that. I love adult Ed and mature students.

Peggy

I worked as an NVQ assessor about 10 years ago and left because teh college I worked from had the attitude of 'we need them all to pass to get the funding for next year'. Basically if I didn't think they were ready (not yet competent - nobody fails!) then college tutors would sign them off :o

On a positive note tho - my student came in today and had taken on board lots of hte comments - she set up with no prompting and I didn't see her hands in her pockets once!

The student I had at home for the older kids today helped my own kids make me a birthday cake awwwww (the children I mind didn't come today!) and they ended up having a flour fight :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)