Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Real Chinese Food

Ewwwwwwwww that looks vile! I did my Chinese New Year week last week and the kids had a fabulous time. On Friday we had a food tech session where we tried lots of different foods. My kids are Severely or Profoundly disabled, and lots of them have physical problems, but all those that can use their hands wanted a go with the chopsticks and all managed to get some food in their mouths with them!

It was so funny and I got some great pictures of them eating it.

They all liked most things, one didn't like the egg fried rice, another didn't like the crispy seaweed.

The list of things we tried were:

Egg fried rice

Crispy Seaweed

Spring Rolls (vegi)

Wantons

Prawn Toast

Vegetable Chow Mein

Rice crackers with a choice of 2 dips (sweet chilli or Sweet and sour)

Prawn Crackers!

Everyone could try something,even if it was just a prawn cracker fizzing on their tongue, except my boy who is nil by mouth, but he enjoyed the different smells going on in the room.

A great morning was had by all!

One member of my staff pointed out that Chinese food is often cooked in peanut oil. As we have two children with nut allergy, our plans for tasting food this week have had to be changed.

Does anyone know what sort of oil is commonly used in Chinese cooking? When I cook my own, I tend to use sesame oil. Haven't yet been shopping to look at ingredient lists on food, but was just wondering.

Jackie

Need to be careful with sesame oil too though- i have had children with nut allergies in the past and parents have also kept clear of sesame seeds and other seeds for the same reason as nuts.

As for the pictures- yuck

L

Gosh we may now have to incorporate looking for the little edible devils when we are out on our nature walks - no stone will remain unturned - surely that MUST incorporate every area of learning then!!!

They are presented very nicely though.

Nikki

So, what should we teach our children, the real Chinese eating habits or the westernised version?

My Husband spent time in Hong Kong, in the army and remembers a wonderful day long meal with the locals, he wasn't sure of some of the items he ate though :o

The culture obviously requires that they use all resources available to feed such a fast nation. I know about tea plantations etc, but do they "farm" these bugs, I wonder if they are "organic", " free range" or mass produced with no consideration to the animals wellbeing? :(

Peggy

just shows you learn something new everyday. xD

So, what should we teach our children, the real Chinese eating habits or the westernised version?

My Husband spent time in Hong Kong, in the army and remembers a wonderful day long meal with the locals, he wasn't sure of some of the items he ate though :o

The culture obviously requires that they use all resources available to feed such a fast nation. I know about tea plantations etc, but do they  "farm" these bugs, I wonder if they are "organic", " free range" or mass produced with no consideration to the animals wellbeing? :(

Peggy

just shows you learn something new everyday. :(

46659[/snapback]

ORGANIC or NOT think I will give them a miss on my menu xD