Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Spellings And Phonics

Posted this once under misc, but decided not the right place, so giving it another go in here!

I have another request for advice. Does anyone have any good schemes/policies in place for teaching spelling - Both myself and our other Y1/2 teacher are concerned at the lack of definition we have... I teach Y1 Literacy, she teaches Y2. I follow LCP spellings where appropriate as have nothing else, she follows a spelling scheme designed for Y2-3 (name escapes me at present). We just feel there is no progression or links between Year 1 and 2. Any ideas???

Also - teaching phonics. I have no training in teaching phonics and am somewhat unsure which is the best scheme to follow. Foundation Stage follow Jolly Phonics, Year 2 follow Playing with Sounds, I follow a bit of each, but feel I probably don't cover all that I'm expected to in Year 1. Does anyone have any advice on what is the best practice? And how much time should be spent on phonics every day/week???

Spam x

Don't know about 'best practice', but this is what we did in Y1:

Children took home around 5 or 6 spellings each week in a table format, with blank boxes below for a 'look, cover, write, check' approach. They returned their spellings slips and got a sticker for doing so (we also marked it off on our homework chart). We then had a spellings test once a week, based on the spellings they had just returned. In addition to these spellings we would often add words which they had taken home previously, simply to reinforce previous learning.

We followed the Jolly Phonics scheme, and would often just go through the flashcards (usually 1 set at a time, and occasionally all of them) as a whole class activity, during fruit & milk time, or just before lunch or whatever.

Both schemes were also done in Y2, but obviously at a higher level. And Jolly Phonics were introduced in Reception.

Hope this is helpful.

Jolly Phonics is intended for use across the school not just in reception. Its a while since I had year1 but Jolly Phonics can be used along side the progression in phonics materials including playing with sound. There is a National Literacy strategy document that covers spellings but I cant remember its title sorry.

Hello - we had an adviser in as our results are low in linking sounds and letters and she has told us to follow 'Phonics in Progression' (PIPS) scheme from NLS. It has lots of fun games and we do it for 15 mins every day and is making quite a diff - used jolly phonics before but found PIPs better. Also provide phonic making activities regularly eg making ssss snakes- tons of ideas for this in Belair book 'Sounds like this' (I think)or it might be 'Sounds interesting' - check on amazon.

Jacqui

Posted this once under misc, but decided not the right place, so giving it another go in here!

I have another request for advice. Does anyone have any good schemes/policies in place for teaching spelling - Both myself and our other Y1/2 teacher are concerned at the lack of definition we have... I teach Y1 Literacy, she teaches Y2. I follow LCP spellings where appropriate as have nothing else, she follows a spelling scheme designed for Y2-3 (name escapes me at present). We just feel there is no progression or links between Year 1 and 2. Any ideas???

Also - teaching phonics. I have no training in teaching phonics and am somewhat unsure which is the best scheme to follow. Foundation Stage follow Jolly Phonics, Year 2 follow Playing with Sounds, I follow a bit of each, but feel I probably don't cover all that I'm expected to in Year 1. Does anyone have any advice on what is the best practice? And how much time should be spent on phonics every day/week???

Spam x

46578[/snapback]

I agree the Jolly Songs and Jolly Jingles have helped our nursery and reception children with remembering initial letter sounds. In the setting i work in we use a range of Jolly Phonics, playing with soundsetc. I think in Reception a phonics session is important daily to develop childrens understanding.

Hi,

I'm a reception, year one and year two teacher and i have used Jolly phonics for 3 years now. The reception children love the jolly phonics, sounds, action and jingles. I found the Jolly Grammar 1 and 2 really usefull for the year ones and twos in the class. They follow a very clear pattern that supports each year they go through the program.

We have had excellent results on our end of Key Stage One Sats, escpecially in spelling and reading. Hope this helps.

Thank you for all the ideas. Have ordered Jolly Songs, copied relevant parts from Jolly Phonics books, and have discussed implementing 'Action Words' through FS, Y1 and Y2 with other teachers. Depending on who is teaching where in September, it looks promising that we will start to use it. Thank you again!

Spam :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)