Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children Preparing Snacks

I don't know how to express this simply, but here goes anyway:

We have a philosophy of the children preparing as much of the snack as possible for themselves - cutting up apples etc. Obviously they don't do things like the toast, which is prepared in the kitchen.

One of my staff has just contested the Deputy Manager's approach on children preparing snacks, on the grounds that if we are being ever more strict on the hygiene staff need to observe when preparing children's food, there is no way these standards can be enforced if they prepare their own. [The staff are obviously careful about children washing hands etc]

This has caught me on the hop a bit, not helped because

1) it's been a difficult morning due to a serious accident on the road outside, that made everyone arriving by car very late

2) the staff member concerned seems to question every decision made at the minute, and doesn't always accept the answer given.

I'm having a job to think it through. Can anyone share a few thoughts?

Hmm I'm not an expert here but firstly- I commiserate because when things start the day off badly and you are feeling harrassed it seems very tactless for someone to introduce ye another problem.

I think we would all agree that children should be as involved as possible in snack making and giving it out, but there are some questions now that need answering. Why not dlegate this problem to the member of staff who raised it and ask her/him to see if they can find out what Health and Hygiene would say about this.

Hope your day is getting better. :D

Agree with jackieL's comment and would like to add that basically this member of staff is saying that children are unable to learn to prepare foods in a hygeinic manner. She shouldn't underestimate their learning ability and give them more credit . She needs to spend some more time teaching them, valuing their efforts and enabling them to learn through experience the importance of personal hygiene and food preparation. But of course this takes a bit more effort and harder work than just "doing it for them" xD

Sorry to sound blunt but I despair of "can't do" attitudes.

When we do cooking activities, we don't do it for the child whilst they look on, and if for example a child sneezes in their hand, picks their nose :o or any other unhygienic action, we just throw the "contaminated" food away, sensitively encourage the child to recognise what they have done, ask them to wash their hands again and start all over again, they soon learn :D

Peggy

Back on line now and couldn't agree more. If children are to ever learn anything then they must surely learn first hand. I am far more concerned over children continually putting things in their mouths i.e. pretend play food/fruit play and other children will copy and we are not always there to see and monitor it. Let's face it how many of us sterilise all the toys on a daily basis - at least with the preparation of fruit we can monitor what they do and explain to them the reasons why, many of my children spend more time in the loo washing their hands than they do cutting the fruit!! Children up to a certain point need to build up a certain amount of immunity and whilst I am not condoning that we should be unhygienic children do do some horrible things and we are not always there to see it, of course we are asked to be particularly vigilent and that is right to show that we know what's what but believe me I have seen some appalling hygience practice in nurseries which really frightens me and the staff do not seem to care - so the fact that we are addressing this question means that we are at least aware of the issues.

Nikki

Thank you for your insight. I think you're all confirming my own opinion. I find the attitude disappointing.

I should have said that the context involved earlier discussion about the new food safety legislation. What she seemed to be saying was that 'Why do we have to observe tighter controls when we prepare the snack, to standards that we can't enforce when children prepare snacks theselves?' My answer: we have a legal obligation, the children don't. I'm being cautious about what I say as I now know another colleague uses the site & has worked out who I am - hello Rachel!

We could all say that the level of controls in our settings sometimes seem to get a bit ridiculous, but I really don't expect decisions to be questioned in this way. This individual has been highly praised by OFSTED and our EYSS support teacher, but if this attitude persists I can see us heading for a serious talk!Or maybe we enter all our children on a Basic Food Hygiene Course!

A good point about the new hygiene regulations - I have been out of action for a few months - has it been discussed on here - where can I find it and what impact does it have? Need to catch up on all of this - can anyone help

Nikki

Surely its an important part of children's education to learn to prepare food.

Our children help with most snacks including making toast (with OFSTED watching......... they even offered the inspector a slice :o ) Today 60+ children helped to prepare and eat haggis tatties and neeps ( Burns Night) safely!