Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lunch Times

Can anyone answer this? I have worked in quite a few nurseries and all of them give the children lunch at 11.30. It seems very early and the staff I have asked havent known why. One parent commented last week that her daughter hadnt eaten her lunch because she wasnt used to the time yet and it made me wonder. :D

hi,

we also have our lunch at 12.00, about 12.15 time hands washed and toilets etc.

i also agree 11.30 is too early, some of our children are still at the cafe at 11.00 as our cafe runs from 10-11 and 2-3 in the afternoon session. with us being open from 9.30 - 3.30, this spaces out their eating times.

also as a member of staff who works full days, if i was having my lunch at 11.30 i would be starving by 2.00 and we dont go home till 4.00.

are these settings full or sessional care? it is because of the 2 1/2 hour funded session / break / second 2 1/2 funded session. if so, i can see how this would fit in with the times they open.

but other than that, i would say too early

I think 11:30 is a little early too but sure people have a good reason for doing so, it must work for them.

Maybe it is opening sessional hours from 9-11:30 for the 2 1/2 hours and then going straight into lunch?

Ours is also midday and like Ruthie tends to be nearer 12:15 by the time tables are laid and children are 'handwashed and aproned'!

I didn't think lunch time could be part of the funded hours so if a setting provides morning and afternoon sessions and the morning ran from 9:30-12 they couldn't do lunch starting at 11:30 but maybe I have got it wrong!

We are full day-care and have children doing either mornings, afternoons or all day.

We open 8:45 and have cafe/snack bar open for food until 11am ( drinks continuous) we start lunch hand washing etc at 11:40 and start eating about 11:50, th children are finished by about 12:15/20. The children then have 1/2 hour outdoor run around (break) or indoor freeplay. Then the afternoon funded time starts at 12:45 until 15:15.

When we do tidy up time at about 10:45ready for story,Sometimes the children do ask "Is it lunchtime yet?" :D

Peggy

All the settings have been full day care, either private or council/sure start. I did ask at the nursery I'm at now (council) and no-one knew. I have a sneaking suspision that it suits when the staff have their lunch breaks :o

Thanks for replying :D

We take our children to wash hands etc at 11.30am. By the time they sit down to eat it is about 11.40am. We have to do it at this time as we have to have them transferred to the LEA nursery they attend by 12.30pm and some of them are so slow at eating. We just about have them fed and ready to go at 12.20pm!

Linda

geraldine,

your right about 2 funded sessions in one day. thats why we have to do 9.30-12 lunch 12-1 and afternoon session 1-3.30.

i was always told if claiming for two sessions in one day, they both have to be at 2 1/2 hours and must include an hour break between each session.

must admit, i dont really like this, cos most of our children are finished lunch by 12.40, so we begin the next session so to speak, unless anyone else has got any ideas what we could do with the children after lunch, until the pm session starts. tried quiet rest time or stories, but we have some very active children who need a "burn off" after sitting for 20 minutes or so to eat their lunch.

geraldine,

your right about 2 funded sessions in one day. thats why we have to do 9.30-12 lunch 12-1 and afternoon session 1-3.30.

i was always told if claiming for two sessions in one day, they both have to be at 2 1/2 hours and must include an hour break between each session.

must admit, i dont really like this, cos most of our children are finished lunch by 12.40, so we begin the next session so to speak, unless anyone else has got any ideas what we could do with the children after lunch, until the pm session starts. tried quiet rest time or stories, but we have some very active children who need a "burn off" after sitting for 20 minutes or so to eat their lunch.

46442[/snapback]

I agree children need "burn off" time after lunch, especially if they have had story/mat time prior to lunch time. The lunch break requirement ( or is it a guideline) was reduced to half an hour instead of an hour, so this may ease your problem of when to start the afternoon "funded" session.

Peggy

We are sessional and full daycare. We open 9.30-12.00 and 12.30-3pm

We run lunch 12-12.30. We start handwashing at 11.50. This is the only time we can have lunch to still fit in the sessions. At the moment we rae unable to extend our opening and closing times. We will have to sort something out when the 3hr sessions come in though.

It works for us and the children

Net x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)