Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Visual Clues

Does anyone know where I can get some pictures for a child who has communication problems. I think a picture of snack time / hand washing etc. may help.

This was something asked a while back and got lots of replies. I finally decided to take photos of the children at various times during the morning - eg. arriving, register time, free play, snack time, circle time etc etc. the photos are in a 'time line' and show how the morning is progressing. Any help??

Sue J

Hi elle,

try this link for schedule pics

do 2 learn educational resources

I hope they help or give some ideas. Sue J's idea is less time consuming and more familiar for the child, but some children need basic outline drawings to follow, which this site is useful for.

Peggy

p.s. please feel welcome to share anything you produce :o

Was going to suggest PECS pictures the same that are used for Autistic children. I have a CD of them i will try and post some if i figure out how

Does anyone know where I can get some pictures for a child who has communication problems. I think a picture of snack time / hand washing etc. may help.

46306[/snapback]

I work in a special school and would personally laminate digital photographs so that you can personalise them to the child and he/she can relate to the pictures.

I've put them in publisher see if this works

46331[/snapback]

I have publisher but couldn't open the attachment, then noticed it is zipped, I need to buy winzip :o

However, I right clicked on your pictures, copy and pasted into publisher.

Thanks steph, would love to see other pics you have for different activities.

peggy

I have publisher but couldn't open the attachment, then noticed it is zipped, I need to buy winzip :o

However, I right clicked on your pictures, copy and pasted into publisher.

Thanks steph, would love to see other pics you have for different activities.

peggy

46376[/snapback]

Great help.thanks everyone.Time to get busy!!!

Have done another batch. There are pictures for everything you can think of from food to animals, words, numbers activities. Have done a sample. Have also attached the ones I use at pre-school for one of my SEN children, who has very little speech.

Oh and peggy have asked my more computer minded husband about winzip and you can download it. go into google and type in winzip. you can download it for free.

hope that helps.

shout anybody else if there is a specific picture you would like.

pecs_pictures_3.zip

pecs_pictures.zip

Sue couldn't find a picture of changing but did find one of a nappy. sorry about the diaper word but they are from across the ocean.!!!!!!

Have done another batch. There are pictures for everything you can think of from food to animals, words, numbers activities. Have done a sample. Have also attached the ones I use at pre-school for one of my SEN children, who has very  little speech.

Oh and peggy have asked my more computer minded husband about winzip and you can download it. go into google and type in winzip. you can download it for free.

hope that helps.

shout anybody else if there is a specific picture you would like.

46396[/snapback]

Hi steph, I did a google search but all the sites require either a membership fee to access free downloads, or one asks for payment for the liscence to use winzip, so although they state that it is free, there are costs :o Could your husband provide me with a web address for completely free winzip or am I being too optomistic ( scuse spelling)?

Peggy

Hi Peggy

My husband apologies as its been awhile since he download it. He has done a search and the only site he could find is www.download.com that lets you download for a free trial. the others are as you said all payable now. i apologise to the others but there is something with the pictures that stops me putting them onto a file that I can attached that isn't zipped. will carry on working with it to see if I can put them on anything else. for some unknown reason when I try and attach them on just a Publishe file it doesn't work. so Steve if I'm doing something wrong let me know please. I've attached other files and its worked ok so I think it has to do with these pictures.

will keep trying :D:D:o

If the child has communication problems then its best to start with pictures before you move to symbols, because they are more abstract so harder to understand. That's the way they do it at my school (Special school for children with severe or profound learning difficulties)

I'd suggest you take pictures of the things you want and make them into small cards. One suggestion is either to do a timetable of them or to have them attached onto one of those springy keyrings and attach it to yourself. I've seen both done, depending on the child.

In my class we have a symbol timetable of the day using the PECS symbols by Mayer-Johnson using Boardmaker but I know before they got to me, earlier down the school they used picture cards.

Hope that helps :)

Just to add to my last post, (posting before you read what everyone else says is a bad habit!) I'm still using my free trial of winzip on my laptop, 2 years on and I've recently downloaded winzip 9...trust me I have a degree in IT!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)