Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice About Potential New Job Please?

hi

just a quick appeal - I've been asked to consider applying for a job in my LEA - basically a head of nursery job which entails teaching a Foundation Unit consisting of 40 Rec children and 39 nursery at a time, alongside 2 NNEBs and a TA. It sounds very daunting but challenging - anyone doing the same kind of thing out there who could give some advice please?

Thanks!!

Congrats on being asked, but my 1st thoughts are that that's not enough adults for the number of kids. I'm not really clear on the numbers thing, but its 1:30 for reception and I think its 1:13 for nursery, but I could be wrong. So that would leave you 1 adult short.

Yes and if it is an integrated unit then the numerical ratios have to be preserved, so that means more staff as the 1 - 30 for recepetion plus nursery take you way over the correct ratio. I'm sure they've thought of that just double check when you visit.

Anyway that aside, well done you, this is a wonderful opportunity so take the challenge if you feel right about it.

we have to run on a 1-8 for our pre-school. and 1-4 for under 3's. sounds as though 39 nursery children you would need a few more than 2 NNEB's and presumeably you floating. :o tough job but good luck if they've offered good for you.

In infant schools there is a legal maximum of 30 chilren per class - i.e 30 children to one teacher. Not only would you be run ragged, but I doubt it is strictly legal!

I run a Foundation Unit in nottingham. We run on 1 teacher and 4 TAs and keep to a ratio of 1 adult to 13. This allows us 65 children, we have a 40 place nursery and 30 reception class but if we go over the 65 we bring in another TA. As for the job, its tiring being the only teacher but I love it, so if you like the look of the school my advice would be go for it - when you have checked out the ratios.

Good Luck

thanks

the ratios thing is the main worry i have too - I went to look round today and whilst i think it's a massive job the head seems really supportive and I have the backing of the early years advisor. Put my application form in tonight, interview Friday, so here goes!

Thank you for all of your advice!

xxx

Congrats from me too

The advice from the DFes is that in a foundation stage unit staffing should be to the nursery ratio 2-26 rather than the reception 1-30 this would require 7 adults for your unit

Also latest recommendation is for 2 qualified teachers.

Q14: What is the ratio of staff to children in a Foundation Stage Unit, and do I have to have qualified teachers?

A14: There is little statutory guidance provided for children in the Foundation Stage, but there are recommendations. Decisions about ratios in maintained provision rests with the Governors of schools, with reference to their respective local education authorities. A higher adult:child ratio is needed for young children than for those of statutory school age. Favourable staffing ratios help children to make the most effective use of resources, they allow children to work in smaller groups or individually with the support and encouragement they need; and they help foster the necessary sense of security in children whose experience of groups larger than their family may well be minimal. Easy access to an interested and responsive adult is an essential means of reinforcing the learning process in young children.

Maintained nursery school

Children Act guidance, volume 2

2:20 (qualified teacher status + NNEB)

2:26 (where the headteacher does not teach)

Nursery class in maintained school

Education Act (1988) regulation 4 states 'for the governing body to determine'.

Children Act guidance, volume 2 states, 2:26 is 'suitable and sufficient in numbers' 2:26 (qualified teacher status + NNEB)

Reception classes

Infant class size legislation applies, where the majority of children will reach aged 5 within the school year

1:30 (qualified teacher status)

In Foundation Stage provision, teachers must be qualified, and although the regulations allow for 'instructors with special qualifications or experience' to be appointed if there are 'no suitable qualified teachers' (regulations are available from Her Majesty's Stationery Office), it must be noted that research (EPPE Project Technical Paper 8b, Institute of Education 27 March 2003) shows that a high proportion of trained teachers is linked to better quality and to better behavioural outcomes.

Where different ratios/recommendations apply to the range of ages within the Foundation Stage Unit, the lower ratio/recommendation should be the guiding measure (i.e. 2:26 rather than 1:30), but the final decisions that Governors make should ensure that the children's individual learning needs are met.

Edited by MARl0N

thanks for all of your advice.

I've had an awful week, trying to decide what to do. Whether it's right or not I've decided to withdraw my application. The children have behavioural problems as it is and I'm with the rest of you in thinking that there are far too many children to the number of potential adults in there.

Who know eh? Now busy wondering if I've done the right thing.

Thanks once again

jan

x

Of course you've done the right thing! You had doubts and that's enough for me. The ratios were worrying, so I think you have made the correct decision, if you had taken it and realised things weren't run properly after starting, your problems would have escalated.

Good for you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)