Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Emerging/working within/secure Writing

What would you expect to see for each of these for 22-36 band and 30-50 band? There's only one statement for 22-36, and two for 30-50. When looking at another settings moderation notes they had specific things for 30-50, e.g. had to be using letters in writing to be working within and using initial sounds to be secure. Is this what everyone else does?

We have been judging beginning if they were beginning to ascribe meaning to marks they made/saw, and secure if they were always ascribing marks they made/saw in a variety of contexts, and spontaneously. Now I'm wondering.....

Hi Sooty99,

We don't do that. It's just creating a ticklist again! To be honest, I don't have a set thing that I'm looking for. But look for how consistent they are with ascribing meaning to marks within their own writing or drawing and other writing and signs. I also consider how far they are on their journey towards 40-60 months. I would say that using letters in their writing is linked to physical ability. Drawing is also mentioned at 30-50 and 40-60 so I don't think it refers just to writing. If they are using initial sounds, then this is more 40-60 emerging for me, as it shows they are breaking speech down into words, they can hear initial sounds and that they are linking sounds and letters.

Only my take on it though!

Green Hippo x

• Like 2

Hi Sooty99,

We don't do that. It's just creating a ticklist again! To be honest, I don't have a set thing that I'm looking for. But look for how consistent they are with ascribing meaning to marks within their own writing or drawing and other writing and signs. I also consider how far they are on their journey towards 40-60 months. I would say that using letters in their writing is linked to physical ability. Drawing is also mentioned at 30-50 and 40-60 so I don't think it refers just to writing. If they are using initial sounds, then this is more 40-60 emerging for me, as it shows they are breaking speech down into words, they can hear initial sounds and that they are linking sounds and letters.

Only my take on it though!

Green Hippo x

I agree with you! These are 40-60 band expectations! It's strange how different we can all be in our expectations!

Hi sooty. I think the writing is a really good example of why it's never made sense to me to split the age bands into 3. I also agree with greenhippo, I would say use of actual letters would be more indicative of 40 -60 as the earlier bands are really about making the distinction between pictures and writing, talking about what their marks mean (eg that's my cat and that says my name), and showing some aspects of the writing behaviour. Also commenting on other signs and writing, not just their own, as this is about their developing understanding that signs symbols and writing communicate meaning.

its good to hear that you are moderating with other settings and discussing what you are looking for, so good luck with that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)