Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Feeling Depressed!

jocrow

We got the call on Monday that Ofsted were coming in for a one day inspection the next day. In the meeting at the beginning of Tuesday it was agreed that the inspector would come into FS2 for 20 mins. She wanted to look at the opportunities for writing during free-flow. When she came in there were children in the sand reading and writing tricky words, children in the brick area creating a wonderful house, that they went onto label, in construction the children there were busy making models and then drawing and labeling them, in the home corner some children were busy writing shopping lists, at the writing table some children were making get well cards for me as I hadn't been in the day before. Outside children were having races on scooters and had written start and finish lines and made a tally chart for the winners. As a staff we were really impressed with how it had gone...until we got feedback! There wasn't enough opportunities for writing!

I really don't understand what more we could have done in a short 20 min observation! On the plus side she did say all children were engaged and behaviour was very good. I'm just at a loss as to what more we could have done and now the whole team are very down!

Jocrow

ok, so while you wait..write down EXACTLY what you were doing when the inspector came...................and very importantly, remember that you can ask to see the inspectors notebook from the day. They MUST give it to you on request, it might help you to see why s/he reported the way s/he did

What does your HT say?

Unless you are going to be beaten with a stick about this, then I would be inclined to let it go.Did the Inspector want to see something more formal? Make sure you have opportunities for teaching letter formation etc and signage to illustrate what the children are doing. Did the Inspector actually appreciate the writing opportunities as you do?

Unfortunately we have a new head teacher, and our observation was the only one he wasn't asked to join the inspector on. We are due a formal observation from him next week.

She seemed to like the free flow and impressed all children were deeply involved with their learning!

Inspector thought there could have been more opportunities...but couldn't name anything else we could have done. The report is due soon and that will indicate if we will be beaten with a big stick or not! Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Talk to your HT about how you feel re. this initial feedback.

Write down everything you did so that you don't forget. It sounds like you had lots of opportunities for the children.

Wait to see the report and Appeal if your section is incorrect.

Although not a school myself, I was very unhappy with our report when I received the draft.

It was inaccurate and didn't refect a certain part of what the inspector saw on the day.

We were graded Good and the wording would not have made a difference to the grade but what is on the report matters and it was really badly worded in one section and didn't reflect our setting at all or what happened on the day and in my opinion would even have had a negative impact on the setting from a business point of view as it didn't reflect our ethos.

It also fed into a recommendation on the report that was not included in our feedback session during the inspection.

I had a positive experience with Prospect and after a 6 page account of my reasons for complaint and several phonecalls between myself and Prospect and themselves and the inspector, the report was changed to reflect a more accurate account and some parts were taken out all together and even got an apology!

This was a stressful period and very upsetting and frustrating. The lovely people on here gave me the motivation to complain and I knew I was right so I hope my experience will help you to do the same if you need to.

Good luck x

To be really honest, I would be surprised if you got little more than a couple of sentences in the final letter (You don't get a report in the same way as a section 5). As this was a one day section 8 inspection they are just looking to see if a) the school is still good (L+M) and b) that safeguarding is secure. That's it!

Unless you and your HT have a really factual problem with the report when you get it I would, as Susan says, just let it go. The focus on writing may have been because of your data or something in your own self evaluation that prompted that particular inspection trail; can you identify why the inspector would have wanted to focus on writing?

Cx

Thank you for your wise words. Catma. Writing had been on the previous inspection 5 years ago for the whole school. So I understand why they were looking at it, it just seems they were obsessed with writing opportunities. As you say I just need to let it go!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)