Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Crb Checks

I took early retirement at Christmas.( personnal reasons) Then this week I was phoned up by a school asking me to do a few days in their Nursery, I was delighted, but oh dear because my CRB check is more than 3 months old I couldn't be employed. This is in spite of it being in the same authority and everyone knows me. Ringing my last HT or HR would give them more information than one of those forms, If I hadn't had the 3 week break from employment I could have taken it whilst they did a new check while I was working, but because of the break I have to start again. Now don't get me wrong I think everything should be done to protect children, but I think that a little common-sense should prevail? What do you think? I've lost work that I really need and will have to wait several weeks for a new check to be done?

:o

I empathise and agree with you JackieL,

It is a classic case of beaurocracy impeeding good practice rather than promoting it. If we are deemed unfit untill checked because of an employment break of only two weeks, I'd better plan full CRB checks for all my staff EVERY September after the 6 week holiday break, how am I to know they haven't been charged or prosecuted for offences against children during this break? ( xD tongue in cheek).

I have always felt that CRB's are only valid on the day of issue, to inform me that any prospective employees have not been PREVIOUSLY convicted, this DOES NOT GUARANTEE to me that anyone will not commit an offence in the future. THEREFORE, I, as every other professional employer in the early years field, have systems in place EVERY day to ensure that the children in my care, who I am legally responsible for, are kept safe.

I would really love to know the statistics of how many unfit people the CRB system stops getting into childcare jobs, compared with how many apply for CRB clearance, to see if it is a cost affective approach, would the money it costs not be better spent promoting and enabling childcare employees to ensure they have their own systems in place to ensure childrens safety.

How many people with a current CRB commit an offence against children?

If all registered providers including schools were sent the names of people who have been convicted then all we would need to do is ensure that we didn't employ these people, applicants identity would have to be checked so we are fully satisfied of every persons correct identity, which are legally obliged to do anyway under the immigration act. (if you see what I mean).

This topic is especially poignant at the moment with the current revelations of people on list 99 getting jobs within schools. :o

The information given by CRB is obviously very important, but the system of having to apply for the information, instead of having it supplied to all registered employers, means that it is a system that doesn't work and actually stops us from employing the innocent suitable people.

Peggy

I have always felt that CRB's are only valid on the day of issue, to inform me that any prospective employees have not been PREVIOUSLY convicted, this DOES NOT GUARANTEE to me that anyone will not commit an offence in the future.

46151[/snapback]

My feelings exactly, Peggy.

Thanks Peggy you talk good sense as usual.

I already have a 12month CRB for my voluntary work with Mencap, plus one for church which is about 14 months old and now another one. no wonder these check take so long if they have to be done so often. My other checks are not portable because of this 3 month rule.

Oh well I will look on this as a holiday from work and do my spring cleaning instead. Bookings for cleaners anyone?

Hi everyone.

Just taken me four atempts to reply - silly computer!

I agree CRB's are ridiculous! I think i've got 5 currently on the go as i'm looking for a new job, and each agency has to have a new one, i've got one that was done when i started my last nursery (in September - Is after 3 months, but it's still not much longer!)

I definately agree that they are only any good on the day that they are actually completed by CRB (or is it someone else? Am being thick!) I don't have any offences, but i could be arrested the night that the nursery got the CRB check through, and they wouldn't know if i didn't say!

It is stupid, I think they could come with a far more relaible, cost effective way of ensuring children's safety if they just put their heads together instead of giving convicted paedophile (no idea if thats spelt right - Sorry if it's wrong) get into school free cards :o

Lu

• 2 weeks later...

Hope I'm not duplicating anything already posted, but thought this link to the Protection of Children Act might be helpful. It's not a huge download. Search for 'poca'

Guide to POCA

Edited by Guest

I have to employ agency staff when I have someone off sick and the girls have a crb check through the agency and then can go to work in a variety of childcare places.

One of the girls we have been using is so good we are actually employing her from the agency. When I mentioned that I would have to do another check with the crb for her employment with me they said that I didn,t need to as they could do a 'Portability' check. This was explained to me as a system that can transfer a recent (within 3 years!) crb check to another place of employment, only if the children are within the same catagory of care.

Personally I think the whole system is a complete shambles and I don't even feel that people in authority know what they are doing. When I took on this job I had an enhanced disclosure that had come through the month before from my previous job. It had my previous job title etc on it. As I was going to be in charge in the new position I had to be checked by Ofsted as a suitable person. The Ofsted inspector said it was fine and that I didn't need to change it. We have also been inspected in September last year under the new system and the Ofsted inspector checked our crbs and again did not pick up that mine had a different setting on it.

:o

Hope I'm not duplicating anything already posted, but thought this link to the Protection of Children Act might be helpful. It's not a huge download. Search for 'poca'

Guide to POCA

46951[/snapback]

Thanks for the link weightman, very useful :D

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)