Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Woodwork

We have had woodwork at Pre-school - but only a couple of times. I love it and so do the children. The problem is that the children find it very hard to bang nails into the wood. I cut different lengths of wood before-hand .........and invariably when the children take home their piece of woodwork, parents say 'oh, I like the cross', the children reply 'it's supposed to be an aeroplane!!!!

Apart from balsa wood, does anyone know of anything that we could use?

(Not pumpkins as I remember someone using last year, though) :D

Thanks

Sue J

We have also struggled to find wood soft enough that they can actually manage to bang nails into.

Our solution has been to drill holes right through the wood and out the other side (beforehand) and the children can then bang the nails through the holes into corks which are very soft. They can join wood together this way but only where the pre-drilled holes are. Not ideal, but the children love doing it and don't get so frustrated.

If anyone has a better solution I'd love to hear it too

Carolyn

I have ordered woodsets from companies like GLS which then supply wood that you can almost brake by hand its so soft. Sorry not sure of name!

You can also ask local companies or parents we had a parent that worked in a workshop and provided it by the bagload so we could easily select the type we felt we could work with best. I agree there is nothing worse than very hard wood that takes an age to saw :o

Thanks Beau - I have requested a catalogue.

Today we had 'woodwork'. The children really enjoyed it. We had some pieces of wood with some pre-drilled holes in - which helped some of the children who didn't have the strength to hammer the nails in. Other than that there were different lengths of wood and quite thick cardboard as well as the usual tools. We are having it out again most of this week as part of our topic "What's in the Box?" (tool box).

Sue J

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)