Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Equal Opportunities Policy

Hello! I am currently up to my neck in paper trying to rewrite our Equal Opps policy and procedures. Its clearly vital to get it right and I'm concerned that I might miss something.

Does any kind person out there feel like sharing theirs on this forum so that I can see how best to set it out and what to include, and where....

In our case, we are a Christian nursery and I'm very keen to express this appropriately in the context of equal opps.

Anything you are able to post would be great.

Thanks. I'm going back to my pile of paper now............

I have been asked to re-write all our policies for nurseries and after school clubs and find myself in a similar pile of paper!!

Equal Opps was one of the first that I tackled, so please find attached the third (?!) draft, for you to have a look at. :o

There is nothing on Christian ethos, but you could use the statement of intent box to make this element of the underpinning of the policy clear.

Hope it helps!

RB x

PS You could also try searching the forum as there are lots of 'donated' policies on here too!

EQUAL_OPPORTUNITIES_POLICY.doc

I recently read an equal ops policy belonging to a council nursery, it included a piece about how books would be checked if they were printed pre 1987 as to the content not showing sterotypical images, these books would not have been subject to the same checks later books have been. I'd never heard of it before and I'm in the same city as the council nursery. :o

Hi

I have just rewritten our equal opps policy. I have taken mine from the PSLA, they come on disc so they are really easy to use. They have renamed it the equality and diversity policy. You can order the policy book and disc from the PSLA. hope it helps

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I feel abit more confident now. Anyone else got anything to share? Please??? Pretty Please.........

I'm grovelling now cos of time pressures etc and now I've got to do a full day course tomorrow (talk about short notice) on Birth to 3 Matters where they've changed the course at the very last minute and I think its going to be mainly about observation (what? after 11 years in the job.... all day??) Maybe I'd rather stay home and do my equal opps update!

Hi Lisa,

BTTM is all about observation, so I would think it will figure prominently!! But don't dismiss it before you've done it, please. Let us know how it goes and what you feel you've gained from it. I'm interested!

Sue

Hi Lisa,

BTTM is all about observation, so I would think it will figure prominently!! But don't dismiss it before you've done it, please. Let us know how it goes and what you feel you've gained from it. I'm interested!

Sue

45923[/snapback]

Hear, Hear Sue R,

I've got an EYAT who insists we should have focused planning for BTTM, (not watered down FSC). I understand it as continuous provision of a sensory and language rich environment with emphasis on the component "A Strong Child". Observing and following childrens interests and not "planning" their play, but following and scaffolding.

Haven't attended the course, sent my manager but the trainer was our EYAT :o ( don't know what Child development training she's had)

Peggy

Point taken!!! I will let you know how the course goes today.

I'm still keen to hear anyone's comments on their Equal Opps Policy please....

Haven't attended the course, sent my manager but the trainer was our EYAT  :o  ( don't know what Child development training she's had)

45926[/snapback]

Hijacking LJWs post a bit, but DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THIS ONE!!

I am one of 3 Development Officers all educated to degree level in EYs with 5+ years experience each (not as much as others on here, but sufficient I think) and the EYATs and Head of Service think that BTTM is better delievered and has 'more weight' if it is delievered by teachers....

:(:(xD

We spend about 20% of our time undoing all the formal planning and structured play recommended by them....ENOUGH!!

We have a poster displayed stating we follow our EYDCP equal opps policy, it has a brief standard statement .

To be honest, I feel that whatever is written down is really a paper excercise. Unless you feel the principles of promoting equality in your heart, it's not going to happen, how ever many times or ways it is written out. Life unfortunately is not equal. Before children even come to us their opportunities are not equal because we do not have a "level playing field" with regard to funding, premises, resources etc.

I also feel that equal opps is not a stand alone policy and should be imbedded in all our policies from equal access to health and safety to staffing to admissions. As BTTM has come up as an additional thread to this topic I feel strongly that children should have the equal right to be, just children, and to play, this must come very high in any statement of equality of opportunity. ( ie: curriculum policy)

I personally strive to be fair, respectful and non discriminatoryand to challenge any discrimitation I come across. I also acknowledge that different people hold different interpretations of the terms fair, respectful and what is discriminatory.

Peggy

I do feel the need to add that my EYAT is very nice and she has been a motivating influence in our preschool in many ways. She is full of praise and makes any suggestions sensitively.

I just feel that we are trapped in this situation of having to "justify" our methods, which have been, for many of us, developed over many years of study and experience of working with young children. It seems that powers that be are so tunnel visioned that they can only understand one method for us to justify our work practice - plan and evidence - set targets - put children in boxes - test them - and yes from birth, etc etc .

It is this lack of understanding of what ( actual child development - not transcribed ambiguous statements such as ""finding a voice, being together, making meaning, making connections etc) and how to evidence ( end results instead of the process), that has caused this threat to the childrens everyday experiences.

As soon as something is written down ( even if it is only guidance) it is open to many interpretations and the people working with that guidance are open to be unjustly judged if the person judging them interprets the guidance in a different way. no-one is necessarily wrong but the victims of all this is the children. Why can we not just let them be, and why can the dedicated professionals just be trusted to do the job that they have become professional in.

soapbox rant over.

peggy

ps. I say lets return to the sensible P.I.L.E.S. not forgetting, and including creativity and imagination within all these developmental areas.

Was it not creativity and imagination that prevented us from becoming extinct?

Peggy

Yes Peggy I like you am very familiar with the P.I.L.E.S. way of planning . Yes I plan weekly but if the plan is not always followed and children want to experience something else the plan is forgotten about. I don't want to be unable to function without a plan anymore and lose that natural spontainaety that is the joy of working with young children. All my staff know how to follow the childrens leads, are aware of all the children's special / particular needs , and know how to enjoy and extend their play in the right way. My deputy has been helping me for 20 years, other staff 2-10 years. I have been a registered childminder and foster parent so I just take it all with a pinch of salt. In a few weeks time I have an E.Y.advisor coming to check planning etc. :o

Last week an advisor came to show me some electonic toys because my ofsted report had recognised this as a weekness. There was nothing on her list that I didn't have. All these are available to the children but I didn't have a COMPUTER. xD

I like you Peggy take my job seriously and want to be left to get on with it. What does really annoy me is advisors coming in and expecting to chat to me all morning, asking me for information that is on my headcount form.

Oh dear I do sound grumpy but I'm not ,I just want spend the session with the children .

All adults that come in comment on the relaxed atmosphere and purposefull play and long may it continue!!!!

Peggy, Bubblejack, you have both just sited the reasons I left. Too many people telling me how to do things, too many opinions on how those things should be done without being able to tell me why my way wasnt right, too many 'new' ways that really were just the 'old' ways written differently, children's playing hasnt changed. Now as supply, I go in, I play, I go home. For the first time I feel that my pre-school practice training is really being used instead of my management, secretarial and office skills. I am having the time of my life. :D:D

Yes Rea I can understand your feelings but I shall NEVER let them beat me. I have age and experience on my side . When the ICT co-ordinator came in she couldn't understand why I didn't contest the Ofsted findings but my answer was that I couldn't be bothered because I KNEW I was right.I listen to what they say and try their different suggestions but if it doesn't work I revert back to the old way or try something different.

I'm glad that you are enjoying your new career and I wish you good luck and lots of happy playing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)