Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Story Tapes

I have just set up a listening centre for the children to use independently consisting of a tape player with headphones within our book corner. We have been showing the children how to operate the tape player on their own and they are using it really well.

I would like to build up a collection of simple story books with tapes. We have a few already ("The Gruffalo", "Kipper", "Blue Balloon", etc) but none of the stories on tape have the little bell sound that indicates to the child when to turn the page. When I have used these in the past the children are able to follow the story in the book and look at the pictures as the story is being read. They find this impossible to do without knowing when to turn the page.

Do any of you know of any tapes that I could buy now that have the sound to indicate turning the page?

thanks,

Jackie

Our children enjoy,

Giraffes Can't Dance - Giles Andreae

from orchard Audio books ISBN 1-84362-040-5

This has the story read on 1 side with no promps but music and sound effects on it and the other side has reading with prompts followed by the music alone, which the children always love and end up dancing to

Others in the series include

Commotion in the Ocean ISBN 1 84362 038 3

again the children enjpy this one too and love the sound effects.

And there is Rumble in the Jungle and Farmyard hullabbaloo but not heard those.

I also think we have a version of Green Eggs and Ham with prompts but do not have it here to check.

Inge

Edited by Inge

There are a couple of simple stories. Emergency! and another one about a digger. I can't remember who wrote them offhand but they also have the tapes with sound effects on one side and a signal to turn the pages on the other. There is also a listening activity where you need to guess the emergency vehicle by the sounds they make.

Hope this helps. If you need to know the author and/or ISBN numbers just reply and I will let you know tomorrow

Sue

In the past I have taped myself reading stories and have used a chime bar to signify when to turn the page - how sad do I sound :o

Harricroft

PS Sometimes I have given them a suggested activity to do afterwards eg. Goldilocks - make some more porridge for the bears in the home corner, go to the construction area and make a new chair for baby bear. I tape these instructions after the story.

Edited by Guest

Not sad at all Harricroft! We are due to get a listening station with some lottery money and this sounds like a great way to increase the number of story tapes without breaking the bank. Thanks. :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence Beau - I don't feel quite so bad now :o Just one thing to remember - once you've recorded the story don't forget to remove the tabs so that the children can't inadvertently record over the top. I find the 10 or 15 minute tapes you get through educational catalogues are best as you can tape on both sides and they're just about long enough to take a story and maybe a little comment. They're also useful for children taping themselves - singing, music sessions or telling their own stories. I've picked up a couple of tape recorders with microphones from car boot sales for a couple of pounds each.

Harricroft

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)