Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hfw Games

hiya all :D

has anyone got any good ideas for games to help my Reception children learn their HFWs. i've got ideas from playing with sounds just wondered if anyone had any ideas. Thanks

AEK :o

HI AEK

we colour code our HFW and put then into sets of 12 (yellow/green red and blue 9 in this final set) They go home in word boxes a set at a time. COlour coding them this way helps us, the children and parents know where they are up to; it also adds a bit of incentive to move on up to the next level.

We have lots of games devised around the coloured words and we put them on giant flowers (colour coded to match the words) we call our flowers 'Power Flowers' as they give us the power to read!

We play have two types of keyword bingo. Basic word board witht eh first two sets mixed up (Yellow and green) and then the next two sets (red and blue) this helps to differentiate for abilities.

We have a power flower keyword bingo spell where the 'teacher' holds up a keyword and if it matches one on the players flower card(Laminated to use with dry wipe pens) then they must spell it underneath their word.

Another game is where we have an A3 laminated sheet with Humpty dumptys wall (about 8 bricks tall with Humpty at the top) there is also a velcro patch at the top to attach a laminated keyword (child can choose from the colour coded keyword basket). They have a minute timer and they must see how many times they can write the keyword on Humptys wall before the timer runs out.

I am attaching a couple of power points that I have just done. One as a simple sight vocabulary one and the other as a say and spell one. Let me know if you (or anyone else finds them useful as I'd be grateful for some feedback). You can also see how we group them into the colours (basically to help with simple sentence construction.

Have fun and i hope this is clearer than mud :o

Glad you like them folks... it was a long Sunday afternoon Barb (I must admit that I did get a bit distracted by the football so it took me longer than usual) :o

I wondered if Steve had a way that we could post our powerpoints on here in a separate area as I have a few and I am sure that there are others out there who use powerpoint too. It would be great to have them posted in their own area as when visiting other sites you usually have to trawl through loads of irrelevent stuff before you find what you want (or more often than not what you don't!)

How about it Steve? :)

Apart from usual bingo, we've made some matching games; words on flowers to match to flower pot or vase; "postcards" printed with words to post in matching post box etc.

We've also made game boards with words in sets of 5. Each board has 5 circles with HF words from same set and an attractive picture to distinguish boards. A die with same words and one for word of their choice from board to roll. Cover word rolled with cube or counter.

Game boards are on different computer somewhere or I would attach for better description.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lisa,

I am very interested in your powerpoint ideas. Would it be possible for you to share your powerpoint examples ? I would be grateful.

Thanks Kathleen

hiya all  :D

has anyone got any good ideas for games to help my Reception children learn their HFWs. i've got ideas from playing with sounds just wondered if anyone had any ideas. Thanks

AEK :(

45576[/snapback]

Have you seen ACTION WORDS?

PS cant see the power point at all :(:(:oxD

Edited by MARl0N

Hi Liza -

I'm sorry, I must have missed this post as well the first time round (seem to be missing a few at the moment. Must be my age...).

I'm happy to put a separate page up for the PPT files - although like others, I can't see any at the moment. Could be because it's Sunday and I never could get the hang of Sundays!

I use Action Words with my Reception class and have been amazed how quickly the children have learnt their high frequency words. The homework and laminated Action Words flashcards have been welcomed by parents who were pleased to have something they could easily do with their children. I certainly think they have helped some of the children progress with their reading and a few of them no longer need the actions to read the words. I have recently gone on the website to order the Y1/Y2 words and the site has had a bit of a revamp - worth a look as they have a few free examples. www.actionwords.co.uk

Hmm. That's very odd... Doesn't look like they were posted elsewhere, looks like they were posted above but have disappeared!  :o

46714[/snapback]

Any chance the powerpoints could be posted again as I'd like to see them.

Thanks MelC

We play a game called 'Tic Tac Toe' with a selection of h/f words on the board. One child uses a pointer to point to the words as the whole class recites in time: 'Tic tac toe, here I go, where I'll stop I do not know'. The child being the teacher chooses another child to have a guess at the word, if they get it right it's their turn to 'be the teacher'. I often play it in the mornings as children come in (first one on the carpet sitting nicely has the first go!) and I tick names off the register as they keep playing. Works a treat! Sometimes I leave the words up on the board and they choose to play it in small groups...

Susie

• 6 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)