Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Crb Policy

Hi all,

I have a CRB policy, which covers who we check and who we use and the storage for staff disclosures but am not sure on the disposal. Also, after staff leave, do we keep the copy of the disclosure form for a certain amount of time.

Net x

when we got the TMGCRB pack they sent a sample written policy which they recommended was adopted or adapted to the individual setting. The suggested requirements which are taken direct from thier policy are as follows.....

Retention

Once a recruitment (or other relevant) decision has been made, we do not keep disclosure information for any longer than is necessary. This is generally a period of up to six months, to allow for the consideration and resolution of any disputes or complaints. If, in very exceptional circumstances, it is considered necessary to keep disclosure information for longer than six months we will consult CRB about this and will give full consideration to the data protection and human rights of the individual before doing so. Through out this time, the usual conditions regarding the safe storage and access will prevail.

Disposal

Once the retention period had elapsed, we will ensure that any disclosure information is immediately destroyed by shredding or burning. While awaiting destruction disclosure information will be kept secure at all times. We will not keep any copy or other image of the disclosure or representation of the contents of a disclosure. However, not with standing the above we will keep a record of the date of the disclosure, name of the subject, the type of disclosure, the position for which it was requested, the unique reference number of the disclosure and the details of the recruitment decision taken.

Hope this is of help

Inge

Good question net,

I take a photocopy ( staff keep the original) and put this in the individual staffs files whilst they are with me. When they leave, I just write the CRB number and shred the photocopy.

I think the CRB office has a data protection statement which states how long they keep records of who has had a check done.

just did a search on CRB site.

CRB code of practice

PDF files are to the right of the screen - it appears that we should only hold them for a maximum of 6 months ( employment trial period I'm guessing). I presume this is because the checks validate employment suitability and is part of the recruitment process, which is normally completed within 6 months ( allowing for trial periods)

It states that you can keep a record of name of the subject, type of disclosure requested, position for which the disclosure was requested, date of issue of disclosure, Disclosure unique reference number.

I am with TMGCRB, they have in their packsample policies, and require that we follow the CRB code of practice.

Peggy

OFSTED told me I wasn't entitled to keep a photocopy of the disclosures,as they belonged to the applicant. So I destoryed the copies I had. I was told to keep details of the basics only, e.g. their name, the disclosure number, date etc. Have things changed, then? Or is it another example of inconsistencies?

Your right weightman, my practice of keeping photocopies was before I had guidance from the TMGCRB people.

To be honest it is hard to keep up with what we should or shouldn't be doing, keeps us on our toes though, which can't be bad. :D

Peggy

Absolutely, Peggy! xD

While we're on the subject, I've been meaning to ask for a while whether you think it's a good idea to get one of these packs even if there are no current vacancies and therefore no imminent CRB checks needed - because I haven't got round to doing it yet! :o

Absolutely, Peggy!  xD

While we're on the subject, I've been meaning to ask for a while whether you think it's a good idea to get one of these packs even if there are no current vacancies and therefore no imminent CRB checks needed - because I haven't got round to doing it yet! :o

45538[/snapback]

I got one from TMG, it is useful because it has proforma policies in it, and being that my new year resolution is to be "proactive" it doesn't hurt to be prepared with info prior to the event of needing it. (if you know what I mean)

Peggy

I got information from all three companies and the TMG was the best with pro formas and an idiot guide on what to do. After all the complicated forms from ofsted i thought it was quite refreshing to understand what i had to do. :D

Can anyone point me in the right direftion for the link for requesting the information from the companies concerened. can't seem to find it and as we are recriting new staff emeber soon would like to get ahead.

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)