Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cost of childcare vs National Living Wage

JJA

Phew! I seem to have opened a can of worms! Thanks for all the responses - it seems we're all thinking a similar thing/amount etc.

I'm full daycare (from babies up) with 40 children a day and think I'm going to be going up around £1.80 per day to cover costs, although I must admit I'd forgotten about the NIC relief - be interesting to see how much this means in practice...

I hope to goodness staffing ratios don't change - I think they're right as they are, what with the higher numbers of children with SEND coming though now, and us having to meet their needs through the 'Universal Offer' rather than getting any help (financial or otherwise!)

• Like 2

We have carried out a full analysis of increased costs including, pay rise, pension and the increased annual leave and attendance bonus we are giving to try and attract staff ( there are surprisingly few good candidates now compared to when I came into the sector). In order to cover it - we need to increase our fees by 6%. This equates to 2.00 per day for babies and 1.80 each day for over 2's. We have written to parents telling them about the increase and no-one has complained. Parents aren't that bothered I don't think as for those on min wage, their own wages will increase and for those on childcare tax credit will increase their claim - which makes it a bit counter productive really as gov are increasing min wage to living wage so that they can reduce tax credits.

I sometimes think someone is sitting somewhere in Whitehall thinking up ways that they can give us more work and more stress and make sure we increase the time we spend worrying about sustainability and procedure and decrease the amount of time we get to thinking about the children's needs.

• Like 1