Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Start Of The Day Actvities

Hi,

Just wondering what ideas people have for activities Pre-school children. can do as they come into school. I have already decided to self registration, just wondering what settling actvities I can do after.

Hi,

We try to have a very informal, relaxed start to the day. Doors open at 8:45 but the session doesn't start until everyone has arrived which is normally by 9:15.

As children arrive they self register with their parents, we have a board with 3 picture clocks at the top showing 11:45 (on the left) 12:45 (in the middle) and 15:15 ( on the right) the child places their name under the clock which states their going home time. These times can vary throughout the week for some children so this is why parents help/guide them. The children quickly learn to recognise their name labels and where to place them on the board, sometimes asking "Am I staying for lunch today?" (middle column). Parents then take the children through the hall to the cloakroom ( seperate room) to hang up their coats. Again parents are encouraged to do this with their child so that we do not lose a member of staff out of the play area and it encourages parents to come right into the preschool so they can see what is going on, to hand their child over to staff if required, to play with their child for a while or they can talk to staff if they wish.

All play areas are set up with activities or self selection cupboards ( ie: jigsaws, games, brio, blocks etc) nearby. If we know a particular child is coming in who is still trying to settle we will ensure his/her favourite activity is available, for example one girl always liked to have the basket of shells available on the days she attended.

Over the years I have found that "solo" activities such as playdough, glue and collage, trampoline and role play area are quite often the activities which children choose to go to first, they tend to start with an activity which they can become obsorbed in without having to interact with anyone else. More confident children are obviously pleased to see particular friends and play together. Younger ones, still at the looking on or parallel play stage tend to go for the "solo" activities. Staff obviously support any unsettled children and we always make it known to parents that they can stay as long as they feel the need to. Also at this time some children help prepare the snacks for the snack bar, cutting up fruit or vegetables etc.

Once everyone has arrived we then give the children a chance to finish what they are doing or place it in a safe place to return to, and we join as a group for our intro, preschool family, circle song.

Peggy

We have a greeting time which follows a fairly consistent routine each day so the children are confident with it. We keep it as interactive as possible. It starts with a greeting song where the children can choose some actions. Often there will be news to share from someone's home/setting folder. We sing a 'day of the week' song & look at whose turn it is to do certain jobs, what might be available for snack etc. The children 'read' all this from symbols on the board. We count how many children, how many adults. Sometimes we have a short story or sing more songs. Parents are welcome to join in with this, to help the children settle or just because they want to! It lasts for a maximum of 10 minutes and they go off to work in their small groups.

Hi,

I am intrigued to know the words for your greeting song and the 'day of the week' song. Fancy sharing? They sound great!

Caroline

Hi Caroline,

Mmm I thought I got ours from that thread, but I can't see it. Anyway it goes:

Monday's here, Monday's here,

Monday's here now is that clear?

[Ride on a bicycle]

Wouldn't that be fun?

Lots to do for everyone!

For the line in brackets, the children get to choose what we're going to sing each day. It keeps it more interactive. The tune is loosely 'This old man, he played one'.

The 'hello' songs tend to be 2 we use from Music Express Foundation Stage. One is called 'Say hello' and that's about all it consists of! Fine for the tinies, but the older ones sometimes need something more. For them there's 'How do you do?' which comes complete with signing and multi-lingual versions. Both songs use a singer-response technique,and focus on a steady beat. I'm still looking for athird option, so if anyone knows a better one ---!

For our 'hello' song the children sing......

Hello everyone, how are you

How are you today?....................children then shout ...OK (with thumbs up)

Sue J

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)