Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letter Families

Hi guys,

I am wondering what others do as I have been teaching the letter order of Jolly phonics for many years now and fancy a change. I want to start with the cursive letters c,a ,o ,g ,d but what order/ groups do you guys do after this?

I look forward to your pearls of wisdom!

Mottie x :)

Hi guys,

I am wondering what others do as I have been teaching the letter order of Jolly phonics for many years now and fancy a change. I want to start with the cursive letters c,a ,o ,g ,d  but what order/ groups do you guys do after this?

45204[/snapback]

I am part of a pilot programme and we have been asked to do it a slightly different order to jolly phonics. the idea is that after the first group is taught you can blend and segment. Cant remember the order but will post tomorrow.

I would also include s and q in that group of letters :)

I don't think it matters in what order you teach the letter groups, so long as the children are familiar with them (ie recognise the symbols).

I like to teach the "one armed robot" letters r, n, m next and then the "long ladder" letters l, t, k, h, f, b. The final few letters are a bit random, v,w,x,z; i, u, y, j, p, e.

I'm sure others will have their own system :D

As I said yesterday our school is part of a pilot project looking at the teaching of phonics across the country. The emphasis is very much on learning the phonemes then using and applying as soon as possible. The order given is

smctgpao

rdbfhiu

vwyzjnke

ll ss ff zz

sh ch th wh

ck ng qu x

You blend and segment as soon as possible, look at ways of introducing shared and guided reading and writing but at an appropriate level. Then you look at how to encourage the children to use the skills throughout the curriculum.

Its been a bit speedy but so far we are enjoying it - both staff and children

Pilot is called Early Reading Development Pilot.

Guest tinkerbell

Josi

it looks like you are using the order from the Playing with sounds folder, there are some good ideas in there I'm planning from that this half term .

Hi guys,

I am wondering what others do as I have been teaching the letter order of Jolly phonics for many years now and fancy a change. I want to start with the cursive letters c,a ,o ,g ,d  but what order/ groups do you guys do after this?

45204[/snapback]

SNAP!

This year I decided to teach the order of letters to encourage formation so started off with c,a,o,d,g,q,e followed by r,n,m,h,b,p, k, u,y,followed by i, l, t, f, j and w, v, x, z and s this still allowed the children to build simple cvc words after the first group were taught but seemed to make more sense when reinforcing correct formation

Hi Mottie,

I started using JP a year ago and went with the pace the children gave... so we only worked with the letters of the alphabet and not all the program. I followed the order JP presents, except most of the digraphs.

1. s, a, t, i, p, n

2. c k, e, h, r, m, d

3. g, o, u, l, f, b

4. j, z, w, v, y, x,

5. ch, sh, th, th

... then you could do the rest if you see the group responds well to it.

6. ai, oa, ie, ee, or

7. ng, oo, oo, qu

8. ou, oi, ue, er, ar

Wait…

Now I understand what you meant with the order... not of learning the letter sounds, but the handwriting.

Well, this year I worked on the letters I told you during the 1st term. We still have a couple more to do. The idea was to leave the 'formal' teaching of the letters to the 2nd term, when the children are motoricly more mature. My pupils are mainly 4 years old when they start school in Sept. Meanwhile we prepare them with some activities of the F1 programme of PenPals for Handwriting http://www.cambridge-hitachi.com/products/primary/penpals/.

Normally that should be done in F1, but the teacher did not have it last year and... anyway... some children just come for the 1st time in F2 (Reception). 'Informally' I would use sky-writing and their little white boards to have a go to the handwriting. They were really interested in it. Most of them did well, but the youngest would sometimes have some difficulty and then I had the chance to give them some individual help. I am sure that now during this next term they will do a lot better.

Best wishes :) !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)