Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interactive Storytelling

I have just found the article on Interactive storytelling by Lesley Hendy. It has really inspired me.

In September we changed our planning to include a focus on stories - another idea from the forum.

It has gone well but I felt that the follow-through activities which were planned were a bit too adult led. :( Now after reading Lesleys article I can see how we can really promote the childrens imagination, language, and all aspects of "story telling" skills. I am having a staff in-set day before start of spring term and I think I shall actually get my staff to "make-up" a story so that they can see how much fun it would be for the children. ( what's really exciting is that I won't know what the story is about until it happens) :o

In a recent Nursery World issue they had an article on the pioneer Vivian Gussin Paley- it told of her interest and work of observing children in role play as storytellers and how much we can learn about children from this most innate form of play. This links very well with Lesleys article.

I love Lesleys idea of not using props ( and understand her point that props can actually hinder or change the focus of a story), I like the idea of the adult in a non-power role, questioning ideas and empowering the children to develop and play out THEIR OWN drama's.

Thanks for a great article, it never ceases to amaze me that even after 20 yrs in this business I can still be inspired by ideas that are not necessarily new to me, but are forgotton methods of good interaction with children, which, if I'm honest, are sometimes forgotten or lost due to the everyday pressures that we all have.

I can't wait to go back in the new term and try some "interactive storytelling" with the children. xD

Peggy

p.s. I always wanted to be an actor, maybe that is why this has grabbed my attention so much. I've always marvelled at the skill of actors and even comediens who can "ad-lib" not just act out other peoples transcripts / screen plays. In fact I think I shall call my role play area the "Ad-lib Theatre" :D

Hi Peggy

Have you read any of Vivien Gussin Paley books? (and there's an article about her in last week's Nursery World). She spent a lot of time observing children's fantasy play and then writing down their narratives and enabling them to act them out for their peers.

Really inspirational stuff

Maz

I agree, Maz. I haven't read one of her books that didn't inspire me, and they're so easy to read, too, not heavy academic stuff. I did my dissertation on the development of storytelling in relation to the development of gender concept so it really interests me.

Hi Peggy

Have you read any of Vivien Gussin Paley books?  (and there's an article about her in last week's Nursery World).  She spent a lot of time observing children's fantasy play and then writing down their narratives and enabling them to act them out for their peers.

Really inspirational stuff

Maz

44952[/snapback]

Hi Maz,

No I hadn't heard of her until I read the Nursery World Topic. Too long out of studying, me thinks. I shall definately look at buying the one recommended in the article.

Peggy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

:D Thank you Peggy for bringing this article to my attention.

Have shared it with the team at work and last week tried some of the suggestions in the article. I particularly liked the idea of our "pretend selves" and found I had to "stop" our 3 little pigs story (as L Hendy suggests) as one little boy burst into tears at the thought of the wolf coming down the chimney. I was quite surprised at how many of the children wanted to stick to the original story despite encouragement to think in different directions as to how the story might develop. I'm intending to continue interactive storytelling throughout the rest of this half term so we shall see if the children begin to develop their imaginations and take stories such as little red riding hood and goldilocks in different directions. It's very exciting to try something new and see where it leads!

I have just found the article on Interactive storytelling by Lesley Hendy.

Could anybody tell me where I can find the above article (think I might have missed an earlier topic).

Many thanks

Deb

45907[/snapback]

Look on the left of the screen (blue box) select "articles" then "members articles".

Here is a link to the page

Article page

enjoy and definately inspired!

Peggy

I was also inspired by Lesleys article. I have been using drama and interactive storytelling for many years and I did my M Ed dissertaion on meeting the then 'Desirable Outcomes' through drama activites and role -play, so it was really wonderful to see how other people do it, especially someone with her knowledge and experience. I felt that when I played with children in this way it was the most exciting part of my teaching, and I would bore other staff for hours afterwards about what the childen had come up with.

I have just bought a book called 'Drama and traditional story for the Early Years' (Nigel Toye nd Francis Prenderville) which has lots of ideas for Nursery, Reception and Key Stage One and worth buying for a school to use.

• 4 months later...

I put together a story table this week to go with our topic of minibeasts and it worked really well. The children have been able to recall the main characters in the story and relate the main events of a story in correct sequence, along with many other areas of learning.

I've attached my plan if anyone wants to use it.

Activity_Plan.doc

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)