Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Displays

We have been told that all of our displays need to be a teaching or learning tool. We are finding this extremely difficult in our reception class. We have a word wall, number lines etc but are stuck as to what else we should include. Any suggestion or even better any photos?

do you label your displays? can they be interactive?for eg.velcro for counting,letter sounds?Ask questions how many ......... do you see?

what about maths displays,we did the enormous turnip starting with the tallest and ending with the shortest.we try and let the children do most of the display for instance painting a picture of a cow and have a picture of a cow next to it.our nativity display was done by the children but we have pictures of the story next to it.I always try and link a poem or rhyme to the theme and put it up.Im sure you will get much more interesting ideas from others tho Im a little brain dead at mo! :o

• Like 1

Hi Unicid -

Not an answer as such, but there was an interesting conversation about displays and how you could fulfill both roles (ie make them an interesting and attractive thing for the children to create and look at, as well as fulfill FS learning objectives) just here.

Hope it helps! :)

Have you looked in the gallery? (It's one of the options in blue writing on the light green bar at the top of this page.) Some of the ideas there may inspire you

Carolyn

Thanks for the suggestion and the link, Steve. We are in the same boat as o Purplecat as we are not supposed to simply display children's work but everything has to be interactive - as already stated this is difficult when display boards are high and children can only read cvc words!!

When they use the term "interactive" do they mean the children actually interact with the display ( use it). For example the use of a table with "working models" and the backing wall pictures and labels supporting whats on the table. We did a display once when learning about positional language. We made "lift the flap" pictures for the children to explore ie: a flap had a picture of the back of a Pig and the word "back", lift the flap and they found a labelled picture of the front of the pig smiling. We did other pictures to represent under / over, in front / behind, etc. This could also be done with lots of other "opposites", "Shapes" "numbers" etc.

Peggy

It can certainly cause problems when display boards are high, can't it? Helen's display boards are almost all at child height - they start a couple of feet off the ground, which makes it interesting to take the photos I put in the Gallery! (Like Treebeard, I'm not as 'bendable' as I used to be...)

When we did a look at the journey of a letter a while ago, we made the display as interactive as we could - we provided paper and envelopes, the post box had a slit and the door opened, there was a sack pinned to the board for emtying the post box. The mail van had opening doors and turning wheels and we attached a yoghurt box, the type with all the sections, for sorting the letters. The children played with it for ages, we had to take it down in the end because it was wrecked!! :o I would add, the children made evrything, of course (!!) including the sack.

Unfortunately, our boards are nowhere near as low as we'd like them to be, so the interactive bits have to be at the bottom xD but I shall persist! Both badgering the powers that be about moving them, and being inventive in how we use them!

Sue :D

when we started term we took photos of our daily routine. The children painted a large clock with moving hands (drawing pinned on) and a giant wolf. We then added the title 'Whats the time Mr Wolf'. We stuck the photos around the clock at the appropriate times e.g. next to ten was wash our hands, say our prayers, eat our snack. The display is interactive as at certain points of the day we'd ask 'Whats the time Mr Wolf' and the children would gather round display while we moved the hands to the right time and looked at the photos. Children love this display and we have left it up all term.

I've got around the height by backing the whole wall. I put paper over the display board and below. At the moment i have the jolly postman up in my role-play area and it has a postbox which they can use. Next term i'm doing jungles so i will make it into a jungle and leave some space for children to draw own patterns linked to Elmer. I'm still having probs.....it feels that everything has to happen in early years. Don't get me wrong i am passionate but it seems they look at what you don't do as opposed to what you do! I'm thinking of leaving teaching for a while.

Purplecat

Don't leave teaching! But I know exactly what you mean!!! We are all in the same boat, be strong, you can only do your best and I think by the sounds of it you are doing a fantastic job!

love Bungalow x

I just think it's sad that we can't have some displays purely to VALUE the children's work!

In fact, that IS what I do! I have lots of intetractive table-top displays as well, though :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)