Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Whole group adult input

I do a bit of both. We do phonics 3 x week as well as coverage through whole class story and rhymetime. Maths is met through focused activity or objective led planning but also do a bit of whole class through number songs and games while tidy-up children are finishing. Main teaching is done through small groups and reinforced through whole class.

Our whole class sessions are very short and sweet - often fitted in around transitions so that the children are not sat waiting. Try to make them active or multi-sensory where possible. I also incorporate a phonics game into my P.E. sessions e.g. we played sound corners today - I showed an object and said it's name and the children have to run to the initial letter sound. I used to do phonics everyday but then decided that we were doing it through so many other activities that it was ok to go down to 3 days and now we do 2 days of finger gym.

Green Hippo x

Hi green hippo

I've been looking into including finger gym into our sessions and would be interested in what activities you do and how your children have enjoyed them.

I have a book called 'Finger Gym' by Golina Dolya & Judy Holder - there is also a website: www.finger-gym.com. It explains in there what to include in each session. I differentiate the children into 3 group. For the lower ability, I tend to use the whole arm movements and use gross motor exercises likes crawling, pulling along a bench, drawing rainbows as high up the wall as they can reach etc.

The children show us which exercises they enjoy or don't and we don't continue with any that they are not engaged with. There's either a story or a rhyme to go with the exercises - we repeat exercises for a number of weeks so that children become really familiar with them.

Green Hippo x

I have a book called 'Finger Gym' by Golina Dolya & Judy Holder - there is also a website: www.finger-gym.com. It explains in there what to include in each session. I differentiate the children into 3 group. For the lower ability, I tend to use the whole arm movements and use gross motor exercises likes crawling, pulling along a bench, drawing rainbows as high up the wall as they can reach etc.

The children show us which exercises they enjoy or don't and we don't continue with any that they are not engaged with. There's either a story or a rhyme to go with the exercises - we repeat exercises for a number of weeks so that children become really familiar with them.

Green Hippo x

sounds really good, thank you for that i'll have a look at the website and see if our budget will stretch to investing in the book, sounds like it would be money well spent.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)