Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Salary Levels

I am considering a job in the private sector as a Deputy Manager. I am a little bit concerned about going to an interview as the wage is described as 'negotiable'.

What should I expect?

Please give me some guidance as I am uncomfortable about the situation.

Many thanks.

Mella

:o

My deputy Manager is DPP qualified, last year, has 3 years experience, is in charge one day a week on the managers day off and is paid £6.50 per hour.

This I think is quite generous considering we are a small, struggling, Preschool, but on the other hand she is worth every penny.

Nursery World does an annual salary survey, maybe you could contact them or look at their website ( although don't know if salary info is on there).

What have you previously earnt? What do you think you deserve? What can you realistically live on? Does your earnings affect any benefits such as working family tax credits etc? How much will it cost you to do this job, ie: travel costs?

Are you thinking of not going to interview because of the term "negotiable", I suggest if offered still go anyway. I always use this term when advertising, maybe they offer other perks such as free childcare, pension contributions, extra holiday pay/weeks etc.

Hope this helps.

Peggy

we pay the same as Peggy, I believe this was the 'going rate' in the survey when it was done.

Our wage usually reflects the experience as well as the qualifications, which is why negotiable is often used. Also your current salary may have an effect on what they offer you if you get the job as it can be difficullt to encourage anyone to move job if they then earn a lower wage. Having said that money is not everything and discussion with staff today we learnt that while we always welcome to pay rises and bonuses but satifactiion and being happy to go to work is often just as much a part of the job.

Inge

Not Sure Start by any chance Helen? I earnt £8,000 last year as the owner.

Doesn't bother me, I agree with Inge, this work is my vocation, not really for monetary gain, but Hubby doesn't aways agree :o

Peggy

• 1 month later...
Not Sure Start by any chance Helen?  I earnt £8,000 last year as the owner.

Doesn't bother me, I agree with Inge, this work is my vocation, not really for monetary gain, but Hubby doesn't aways agree :o

Peggy

44749[/snapback]

Peggy, I'm so glad i'm not the only one! :) I do enjoy my job though and wouldn't swap it for the world. I like being my own boss.

Incidently, I was on £19000 as a Manager of a Private Day Nursery before, and I wouldn't go back there for anything! xD Money isn't everything at the end of the day, but looking forward to going into work each day is! :D

It's really hard - around here (Surrey) Managers of private FDC can earn up to £25,000, most of them coming in at around £20-22k, dependent on the size of them. A deputy will be paid at between £15 and £19k. Qualified NN's who are room leaders can earn around £14-£16k per annum.

We are however in a very expensive area with house prices starting at around £170k for a starter home/flat. The salaries for managers running sessional groups start at £6.00 and can go up to £10.00 per hour.

Our area is slightly unique but it will give you an idea of the ranges to expect.

Nikki

• 2 weeks later...

I enquired about a nursery manager's job recently and was told that the hourly rates starts from £6.25. I think for the responsibility that goes with the job, managers should be getting paid a lot more than that. As a result I didn't apply!!

Hi Daisydoo

Welcome to the forum!

I pay my assistants more than that in my pre-school, and I have a senior assistant and a deputy manager who obviously are paid higher still!

Linda

I pay my 2 leaders £6 an hour but they don't have full control of the group as I am always there. I'm like Peggy and probably take home about £8 - £10,000 a year depending on the amount of children and debts I have from parents. xD I certainly don't do it for the money. I like being my own boss even though I feel guilty if I have a day off which is not very often. I do enjoy going back to the recption teachers and see the children when they have been in the school for a term and know that I have helped to make them the confident little people that they are, who have settled in well. :o:D

I know I would like to pay my staff alot more - it's quite frightening when you think of the responsibilites we all have. I think Supervisors/lead practitioners should be on at least £10.00 an hour, Deputy £8.50, Assistants £6.50 and any out of hours work £25.00 an hour!!! (just joking), I think we all deserve more, but I dream on! As you say, we are not in the job for the money and this is what makes us unique, we have always done it because we love the job.

If money was no object, my staff would be loaded!!!!