Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Farm animal whole class input- PGCE student

Guest meh85

Guest meh85

Hi everyone,

I am a PGCE student on my first placement. We are going on a farm trip next week so I am doing the input on Monday.

My idea was to sing old macdonald as a starter. Then through looking at PP pictures have a child led discussion on what they see e.g. what they look like, fur, no fur, what the feet look like, how baby feed of their parents, how many legs, etc. Aim to then ask the children what they want to learn about farms. Use talk partners and then write down questions on paper as they say them.

For group activity after i then though we could draw a picture of a farm and write down our questions. I could differentiate through caption, sentences, using connectives, etc. I would also have the picture I used earlier on the PP for the children to refer to.

Do you think this is a good idea? I am very new to teaching and any input would be much appreciated.

What age children? I think you might find your content too ambitious in terms of quantity.

Also, do you know what you will actually see on your visit re what you/ they want to find out about?

Guest meh85

Thank you for your reply.

yes, I was just thinking the same. They are reception children. I was only going to show pictures of animals which are actually on the farm. I asked the CT what animals are there.

Was thinking to simplify the introduction could be looking at the key question starters, then showing the farm animals and see if they can use the question prompts to ask a question about it or do a hot seat and have someone be an animal and they ask them questions.

Do you still think that would be too ambitious?

I think an introduction to farms and what animals could be on there would be good, it's an idea to bear in mind that some children may have never been to a farm (yep even if you are in a school in the sticks!) so finding out what they know at first is best and then perhaps doing a follow up the day after when they have had the experience by drawing pictures of the farm and writing questions or a sentence.

Tbh when it comes to a trip I would find that the children would be more responsive as the experience is fresh in their mind but also it's important to prepare them for the experience.

Hth

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)