Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Need To Rant!

Tomorrow is our Nativity. We have been doing this for a month, the lord mayor is coming and where are my staff? OFF!!! I am so sick of staff that cannot do the job and if we were part of the private sector they would have had their cards by now. At least 3 members of staff seem not to care about the children or other staff who now have to fill these gaps. Today one child was left in front of a tv, with the door open to the yard and parents waiting around to collect children, while she sat in the kitchen (could not see child from here!) on her mobile phone. I might sound like a right old bag BUT FOR GODS SAKE!! my 14 year old would know this was not an acceptable way to leave a 5 year old. I am now going to drink wine. I actully feel quite sad that my children are so let down in this manner. :o

Guest tinkerbell

Oh Gillie, I have every sympathy for you .I seem to have to remind our school staff that we are there for the children ,there are times when they too forget.

Tinkerbell

That would be me, I am the phase leader. I have tried various means including talking to them, extra training, a verbal and written warning. I don't want to go down this road really but I feel like I have been left with no choice.

:o Hi Gillie

What really annoys me about staff like the ones you have, is that there are loads of really good nursery nurses and TA's out there who can't find a job and have to do day to day supply work. I too have the same problem... try a rocket up their $%^&. Believe you me it's not you and you sound like you have been very fair and supportive with them. Good luck for tomorrow, i'm sure it will be brilliant!!!

Hi Gillie,

What you have experienced also annoys me - Commitment, common sense and being a team player are all dispositions which are hard to come by these days.

Speaking from the "Private Sector" It has taken me 4 years to get a staff team that works well together, and even now I have a few issues I need to deal with ie: I recently increased staff hours to raise ratio's above the requirement so that all the staff could do paperwork at preschool and not at home. The staff have attended these hours but not done the paperwork required :o The excuse being too busy with Christmas - well excuse me, I managed "Christmas" and did all the paperwork as well.

I walked on "eggshells" for 3 yrs because believe it or not it is really difficult to get "qualified" staff, required for ratio's. However, over the last 6 months I decided that I would not put up with staff who were not prepared to do their job to the standard I require, so I went down the route that you are avoiding. I have also become more professional myself with the use of more frequent supervision meetings with all my staff, so that any issues can be addressed sooner rather than later. It is made very clear then that it is their choice and responsibility for the consequences if their work doesn't improve. I also praise good work at these times and the staff feedback is that this helps with getting rid of deadwood, supporting the good workers and much better staff awareness of what is expected of them and it has actually improved motivation.

Good luck, I hope the Lord Mayor, all the parents and the staff all have a good day tomorrow. I hope that you can forget your anger ( quite rightly felt) just for the few moments you enjoy the rewards of all your hard work, as the children will show that they are actually the "best team" you have, and they are why you do this job.

I am sure they will shine for you.

Peggy

p.s. Mobile phones are banned in my preschool, all staff have the landline number should they need to receive or make a call. xD

p.s. Mobile phones are banned in my preschool, all staff have the landline number should they need to receive or make a call. :o

44620[/snapback]

Mobile phones really annoy me at work............how did people used to manage without them.....hmmm quite easily!!!! My phone gets switched off at the beginning of the day if someone needs to reach me in a 'real' emergency they'll get to me on the landline. xD

Hi Gillie :)

I really feel for you, i know just how it feels to be let down by the staff. I own a large day nursery and although we are currently at half capacity i have approx 30 staff. During the first 6 months of this year we achieved just 3 days where all staff were present xD

You owe it to your committed staff to ensure that the others follow procedure.

I agree it is horrible and negative to feel you are 'moaning' all the time, but i like Peggy changed my approach and since i have been using written warnings (and following them through) it appears i have gained a lot more respect.

Four staff left the nursery at the end of last term as they felt too much was expected of them, last month 3 of these staff re applied for positions, apparantly they hadn't realised what a nice environment the nursery was to work in and were disgusted about how they were being treated by their current employers :o

Needless to say they were not offerred positions :(

I hope the nativity went well for you today and i am sure that the children and parents throroughly enjoyed it.

The nativity this morning was a huge success. The kids and majority of staff were great and the lord mayor was very impressed. What was really nice was that everyone who attended said how much the kids enjoyed themselves which is all I could hope for. Feeling very very proud and very tired BUT at the end of the day the children were the STARS!!!! :D

That's great, glad it all went ok. Just wanted to post on here cos I can sympathise- I am feeling really fed up too- luckily for me I have a great team, sorry, that yours aren't so dependable- but all credit to you and the children that your nativity was a success :)

If you feel like "sounding off" Longwayaround, this is the place to do it, It's certainly helped me in the past.

What are you so fed up about?

Peggy

Your welcome to PM me if you don't want to sound off in public, so to speak

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)