Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Peppermint Creams Or Any Other Ideas!

just a quickie...

I'm thinking of making peppermint creams with my Reception class as gifts to take home to parents on the last day of term. Has anyone made them before and do you have a good (i.e. very simple!) recipe? The ones I've found all involve egg whites, which sounds a bit complicated and perhaps not a good idea with salmonella and all that business :o .

Or any other ideas? Thought about making chocolate truffles and there was a mention somewhere of a recipe using icing sugar and cocoa powder...don't suppose anyone knows a recipe for those??? Already made coconut ice for divali!

thanks in advance to all you fantastic people who somehow manage to find the time to help the rest of us!

Susie :D

Peppermint creams

375g icing sugar

3 x tablespoons evaporated milk

few drops pink food colouring

few drops peppermint exxence

Sift icing sugar into bowl and beat in evaporated milk, peppermint essence and food colouring until you get a rough dough. Good idea to taste here and see if it's minty enough! Work the dough with your hands, pressing it together. Roll out on a surface with icing sugar to about 5mm thick and cut into desired shapes. Leave in a cool place for 24 hours.

This is a recipe for chocolate truffles - they are more time consuming to make but taste fab!

225g digestive biscuits

115g butter

4 tablespoons cocoa powder

4 tablespoons desiccated coconut

1 large tin of condensed milk

For rolling the truffles: cocoa powder, vermicelli, desiccated coconut

Melt the butter and leave to cool for a bit

Crush all the biscuits up (great fun!)

Add the biscuits, condensed milk, cocoa powder and coconut to the melted butter and mix together

Spoon the mixture into a buttered shallow tin, spread it out and then put the tin in the fridge to set

Cut bits off the mixture and roll into walnut sized balls

Divide the truffles into groups and roll some in the vermicelli, some in the cocoa powder and some in the coconut

You can also buy icing sugar with the dried egg white already in it, just mix with water/colour/essence to make a stiff paste, it is possible to have each child mix their own small amount in individual bowls.

(Or buy dried egg white and make it as directed on the packet add to icing sugar to make stiff paste, - sometimes you can buy pastureised egg white in supermarkets its near the milk in our Tesco)

Also coconut ice - individual mixing - equal quantities of icing sugar and desiccated coconut mixed to a stiff paste with condensed milk, it only needs a tiny amount, then put into paper cases.

Inge

o0o Now food tech is my fave subject in my new job as I get to do it every week! In the last 3 weeks we've made:

peppermint creams (just followed a recipie I had but ignored the egg white bit and used water instead- worked fine!

Last week was chocolate truffles- melted chocolate, butter, icing sugar and mix!! Tasted VERY nice indeed.

Today we made chocolate fudge with cream cheese, butter, melted chocolate, cocoa powder and icing sugar- all very simple- basically just mix and serve!

We're going to try the fudge tomorrow as it had to be left to chill for a couple of hours and we did it this afternoon, so didn't get chance to try before we went home!

I don't know if this will offend the purists but I just use ready made icing e.g. the ready to roll stuff from asda etc and add the peppermint essence and then give the children a choice of food colouring to add it gets a little bit messy but the chidlren enjoy mixing the colours and I just use icing sugar to roll and stop it getting sticky.

Hope this helps

Edited by Guest

How about a cheap and easy version of 'after eights'...

Fox's glacier mints are crushed by whatever means suitable (!) and added to melted chocolate (the higher the cocoa content the better!!) Unsure of quantities but I guess it depends on how minty you like things.

Mix well and spread out on a baking tray with parchment paper.

Put in the fridge to cool and then break into pieces.

Children could then make/decorate boxes and put treats inside :D

Haven't tried it myself yet, but have it on good authority from a colleague that it works!

I guess that the fruity version (if they still make them) would also work as the different colours would look pretty amongst the melted chocolate.

Hi Nicola

the fudge sounds delicious could you post the quantities??

thank you

Debbie

44592[/snapback]

Ohh the book is at school, but I'll write down the quanities and post them on here later this week if I remember- bit of a mad week at work plus going to see the Foo Fighters tomorrow night!

I SO love this site. I just looked in our recipe file & found a recipe for peppermint creams which involved melting margerine, which is a bit of a faff as we'd need to take children from the nursery to the school & use the staff room. So I was very pleased to see your posting Moose - thank you! Hopefully we should actually have something to put in our decorated hanging cone thingymajigs.

Recipe I have is v.v.v..v.v.v.v.v. simple

evap or condensed milk and icing sugar and peppermint essence. Sorry , I usually guess the quantities, just add milk until playdough texture!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)