We look at CPD through our supervision system,

We cover children ,planning, parents

Any issues irritating them

Safeguarding

Action plans

Training

• 4 months later...

Help, I need some advise please:

I was taken on over 18 months ago as an associate supervisor but have since taken over much of the planning, structure and mgmt side but my supervisor is still getting the praise. Im not that bothered but am just about to be appraised by her and would like to be seen as a joint supervisor - how do I go about this help, no vacant position but feel i have earned this joint role?

Appraisals are generally carried out in any job, and are not specific to childcare. Yes supervisions touch on Appraisals and actually i feel could be joined into one and carried out every 6 weeks or bi-termly for ease. It might make each supervision slightly longer and might even be pointless to ask a few of the standard appraisal questions each time. You could maybe add an appraisal section to the form that you only complete either each term or less and just leave blank at the other times or line through it. at least you have the option!

I forgot to add:

Supervisions are just that, management to supervise ie make sure their staff are doing the best job they can in regard to how they are providing a service as required by the provider. How this service is provided is set out in their policies and procedures and also as required by any statutory document. This might involve any training requirements that would benefit the children whom care is provided and to improve how this care is provided.

Appraisals are for the staff to have the opportunity to discuss their needs as an employee and also for employers to improve their staff. Staff might want to advance themselves with a certain training course that is not necessarily required by the setting ie a management course. This might be something that would need to be done out of working hours in some cases or could it be argued it would benefit the setting so should be done within work hours possibly. You can see the point i am trying to raise. Also an employees pay might be discussed or a performance review in regard to attendance or any other personal issue that could be effecting how they work.

Edited by BroadOaks

Help, I need some advise please:

I was taken on over 18 months ago as an associate supervisor but have since taken over much of the planning, structure and mgmt side but my supervisor is still getting the praise. Im not that bothered but am just about to be appraised by her and would like to be seen as a joint supervisor - how do I go about this help, no vacant position but feel i have earned this joint role?

So your supervisor is giving you an appraisal or is it the person who is praising your supervisor?

You are perfectly in your rights to discuss your job role during a supervision and to put in an appeal for a promotion if you can provide evidence either verbally or written to support your appeal. This could be a difficult discussion if it is with your supervisor and i can understand your predicament. if the appraisal is not with your supervisor then i would be sure to make this appeal to them, due to the work you are putting in! it is only right if you are doing the majority of the work yourself as a supervisor and feel this other supervisor is doing less work, after all you are both doing the same job from what i read.