Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Open Snack Bar

Guest lucy05

I am looking at developing an open snack bar approach to snack time in a 3-4 room in a full day care setting. I would be grateful for any ideas or expereinces that any one has had to guide me!

Thanks

Lucy,

I am in a full daycare setting. We find that in the Toddler Room this causes more problems than it solves. We have the problem of very young tods (pardon the abbreviation!) who can't manage jugs, and usually still use teacher beakers or bottles, hygiene is an issue and the spillages are a nightmare. Thus, Tods have a set snacktime, but free access to bottles/beakers of water, with their picture on - in practise this is asking staff!

However, our Preschool room runs a highly successful open snack bar which is brilliant. Older children help younger/newer members and they all clear up after themselves. It realy helps the ones that have just moved up from Tods to settle and you can almost see their self-esteem going through the roof!

For obvious reasons, we do not operate anything like this in the baby room. :o

Any help??

Sue :D

Try this link, there has been many discussions in the past.

I run a successful snackbar in my preschool, if you have any specific queries, just ask.

Thanks Peggey - I have not been successful in accessing articles you refer to  - not sure why? If you could give a brief outline of your approach I would be grateful  - Thanks :)

articles discussing snack bar

Peggy

44294[/snapback]

Lucy,

Thanks for sharing your expereince - we are just planning this for the pre school room so I would be grateful if you could outline your procedures - length of time - managed by staff member, do they have to sit?

Thanks

Lucy

I am in a full daycare setting. We find that in the Toddler Room this causes more problems than it solves. We have the problem of very young tods (pardon the abbreviation!) who can't manage jugs, and usually still use teacher beakers or bottles, hygiene is an issue and the spillages are a nightmare. Thus, Tods have a set snacktime, but free access to bottles/beakers of water, with their picture on - in practise this is asking staff!

However, our Preschool room runs a highly successful open snack bar which is brilliant. Older children help younger/newer members and they all clear up after themselves. It realy helps the ones that have just moved up from Tods to settle and you can almost see their self-esteem going through the roof!

For obvious reasons, we do not operate anything like this in the baby room.  :o

Any help??

Sue  :D

44318[/snapback]

Lucy,

We have just purches drinks dispencers from ARGOS think cost £8 ish means children can help themselves without spills.

• 10 months later...

i work in full day care and in our sunflower room 2.5 to 4 years we have a low shelf where they have their own water bottles with names on (to get them used to their name) and pots also with their names on with a different variety of snacks in. we also have a clock on the shelf with the hands at 9.00(this is when the snack bar is open) the children have to then look at the room clock and wait till 9.00.

this works really well they learn looking at clock numbers, being patient, name recognition, putting pots/bottles back on the tray

some children leave a few for later!!!! :)

we also have a flask which we put warm milk/cold milk/ soups etcc so they can have something warm on a cold day

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)