Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Smooth Transitions; Building On The Fs

Smooth transitions has been written to help everyone with a professional or personal interest in providing five year olds with a virtually seamless, stress-free move into Key Stage 1.

It begins with a review of the successes of Foundation Stage Curriculum, and explains how it was constructed using research-based evidence on how young children learn best.

The book offers suggestions for working with colleagues across the two Key Stages and gives practical advice on managing the transition process.

The authors suggest that by providing a child-centred curriculum, one which is learning (not teaching) focussed, year 1 teachers unfamiliar with the Foundation Stage are encouraged perhaps to develop a new way of reviewing their practice and provision.

The book emphasises the importance in maintaining the children’s motivation to learn and supports growing opinions that “a ‘bottom up’ model, where the best of foundation stage practice is extended into year 1 is more likely to be successful that over preparation of children in a ‘top down’ model which puts inappropriate pressure on children in Reception” (p.5)

A slim book, readable in an evening, offers manageable advice on setting up a successful transition process to prepare young children for the next major step in their education.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The book is available from Featherstone Publications, or you can order it via Amazon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 4 weeks later...

Steve, you are a font of knowledge! Thanks. This is one we need. I feel we are losing the battle over learning focused or teaching focused and this book might help us try and reach a balance. I am still reeling from OFSTED not liking our independant session.

One muddled early years Practitioner.

Chris

You're very welcome Chris! :D

I'd like to claim credit for all of the stuff I post here, but a lot of the time either Helen or one of the other members has emailed it to me and asked me to post it. But if you think I'm a font of knowledge, then that's at least one person in the world....

• 5 months later...

Ros Bayley is really good - have heard her speak on different topics

would highly recommend attending one of her workshops if you ever get the chance

Guest JudithU

Good to see this book being referred to here. Just read a recommendation for it on the Early Years section of NCSL site. I will have to have a look at it now!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)