Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Baseline Providers list

We're happy to let folk know that we've been chatting to Early Excellence, and Tapestry will be linking to their Baseline Assessment. Those of you who use Tapestry will know that we already enable observations to be tagged with CoEL and Leuven assessments, and we feel our observation based learning journal system will be a natural fit. :1b

We'll let you know if/when we agree to incorporate other systems.

Music to my ears... that's the way we will be going then, great news

Re not doing it you will need to ensure you will always meet the 85% floor standard alone in the future - personally I would say this was a risky gamble if you have significant SEND. At least having done the baseline you will also have a progress measure if you get a low achieving cohort. For small schools where each child is 3% of the outcome, even a 1 child variance could be the difference between intervention or no intervention from elsewhere!

Cx

We are a special school and have some children coming into reception who are working within 0-11 months and all children are below or within 16-26 months so believe me its not a risky move at all. Unfortunately we have to jump through the same hoops as everyone else because everything is deemed as inclusive when it isn't really.

We are a special school and have some children coming into reception who are working within 0-11 months and all children are below or within 16-26 months so believe me its not a risky move at all. Unfortunately we have to jump through the same hoops as everyone else because everything is deemed as inclusive when it isn't really.

As far as I have ascertained special schools are not subject to Yr6 floor standards anyway - it's just the maintained mainstream schools. I had this conversation with our primary special school. Therefore you probably don't have to do anything re baseline and you won't have to report anything else.

It will still be risky for the Primary schools though to just rely on the floor standard achievement target alone.

Cx

Edited by catma

None of this is about meeting needs, but defining a fixed point to me measured later against a fixed point in Yr 6.

You would still have to deliver ie assess, plan, teach towards the ELGs in all aspects as that is still statutory.

This is a schools baseline not the child's per se.

Cx

As this will be the school's baseline, the lower the baseline, the more progress there will be, won't there. So how do you think this will effect schools with a nursery attached? If at all. What's your feelings?

It won't change the requirement to deliver the statutory EYFS, so everyone will still have to teach and deliver the whole curriculum. This requires all the knowledge from the previous setting as well as a wide assessment profile of children. I don't think this should change as a result. Only relying on assessments of Lit and Maths would be a bit daft and possibly an own goal if you have Ofsted! Low outcomes in nursery would certainly be a problem, if children are not making enough progress as well.

The school will still need to track children through their nursery classes as usual, just as it will in reception. However Reception is typically the main time most children are in school, I see it as a separate snapshot "baseline" which will be parked as an outcome for use later.

Until I see how these checks actually get reported it's hard to say how areas with typically below expected outcomes will do, but it is also linked to the achievement measure as well as being a progress measure for Yr6.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think we've made a choice (finally!) but the implications for how we admit children will be far-reaching. Currently we admit children a few at a time and for just part of the day, building up to full-time with everyone in by the end of September. We will need to have children in full time much faster if we are to have any hope of accurate baseline observations within 6 weeks of the start of term.

We will also need to change when we do our home visits - maybe even move them to the Summer term. I'm really unsure about how to go about this for the best.

Most of our children have some pre-school experience but are, as a whole, reliant on their parents for dressing, managing their belongings etc, and many are spoonfed so starting school dinners is a new experience, so I really don't want to just have everyone in on day 1, but I'm sure that works for some people too.

I guess what I'm really asking is has anyone tried different ways of managing admissions and found a way which minimizes distress?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)