Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ice!

does anyone have any great ideas relating to ice in a reception class?? i thought of the solid to liqiud experiment but time is limited.. any other great suggestions?!

does anyone have any great ideas relating to ice in a reception class?? i thought of the solid to liqiud experiment but time is limited.. any other great suggestions?!

43806[/snapback]

is there any particular area you wanted to cover? In the past I've put out an icemountain with small world arctic creatures for discussion and play

qot quite a lot of discussion about how it changed during the day, and children also played with it

have you tried freezing things in icecubes, that has always gone down well eg shells, counters, etc etc

You could freeze small objects into icecube trays and watch them appear. Freeze a water filled balloon and when you remove the rubber put salt on it and watch/listen to it crack. You can add food colour too and watch it go through the cracks. Put a small block of ice into a tray and do a timeline on how it changes. Put ice into cold/hot water and see which dissolves first. :D

We have a great science consultant here - he suggested filling a rubber glove with ice, freezing overnight, remove glove and run in announcing to the class that Jack Frost left his hand here and that we need to keep it for when he arrives the following evening - how can we keep it from melting - have a selection of materials, scarves, salt, beakers to cover it, foil etc - could use ice cubes to demonstrate which one melts the first - generates lots of discussion along with lots of glee and possible screams - then on the next day get Jack Frost to write a letter in icey letters to say thank you to the children for looking after his hand.

Good fun - it appeals to my sense of humour anyway.

Nikki

Read an idea somewhere last year - might have been on this site - put teddies in freezer over night, bring them in saying they were left out in the cold over night and the children have to find ways to warm them up.

Inspired our children.

What about "icebergs" in the water tray with arctic plastic animals? We also have had boats in there too. I froze water in balloons and put them in the freezer. Add a few plastic penguins, walruses, polar bears, etc, etc. The children loved it - had to keep lots of supplies of ice though, as it melted in the water!

I did the ice hand in Reeption last year - fantastic the kids loved it. If you try it good luck in trying to keep the rubber glove full of water upright in the freezer until it freezes!!!!! My other half is used to finding weird and wonderful things at home now!!!

We once gave every child an ice cube on a paper plate and just let them explore, feel, taste, describe etc.

Also we once put a huge frozen ice ball (made by freezing water in a balloon) in the middle of a tuff spot on a hot day and again just let the children get on with it - we got some great photos!

I observed in one of our reception classes, where the teacher had frozen all sorts in the ice for art: glitter, powder paint (not mixed), poster paints, sequins. Really messy, but the children loved exploring the different trays of ice.

• 2 weeks later...

Freezing really large blocks of ice in margarine and ice cream tubs is great - you can fill them with sequins, creatures, food colouring etc - they transport to school as they are so large and last all day ! The children are fascinated by them - it really helps them to remember the experience.

If you make the rubber glove hand - tie the top tight with string and tie onto bars in freezer and hang - don't allow fingers to touch shelf below as you'll never get them out of the glove ! ( speaking from experience here!)

ENJOY !

Have just finished a week of experimenting with ice.

Also used that instant snow - very popular.

We got lots of little figures from a cake decorating shop.

Some Christmas ones, but also penguins, snowman, robins ect.

The children loved them

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)